Around the perimeter
* PRIME RECRUIT: Through the years, Vincennes University has been a must stop for Division I coaches. The Indiana junior college has produced Bob McAdoo, Foots Walker and Ricky Green, and this year its top sophomore is Ron Lucas.
A second-team All-Metro at Lake Clifton-Eastern in 1990, Lucas has led the Trailblazers to a 24-2 record and the No. 3 ranking among the NJCAA's Division I teams. The 6-foot-7 forward is averaging a team-high 15.2 points, and is Vincennes' third-leading rebounder with 5.7 a game.
As a freshman, when the Trailblazers revolved around Steve Worthy, who's now starring at Rutgers, Lucas averaged 10.9 points and 4.6 rebounds. His ball-handling skills have improved over the last two years, and he's also faring well academically, as he's a member of the Vincennes student senate.
The NJCAA has expanded its national qualifying process this season, and on March 6-7, Vincennes will be host to a district tournament that will include the Region XX champion, either Allegany, Baltimore or Hagerstown.
* COOL ROOKIE: Wake Forest is having a difficult season in the strongest women's league in the land, but Laura Coakley is making her presence felt in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
A 6-1 freshman out of St. Mary's High, Coakley is averaging 12.2 points on 46.7 percent shooting and 7.5 rebounds for the Demon Deacons, who are 10-15 overall, 1-13 in the ACC. She was coming off the bench early in the season, but has started all 14 games in the ACC, where she's averaging 14.1 points. For the second week in a row, she's the ACC Rookie of the Week.
Coakley was an All-Metro first-teamer in 1989-90, but missed a large portion of last season with a knee injury. * ACC Women's Rookie -- Laura Coakley, Wake Forest, 6-1 fr. forward: St. Mary's High product averaged 20 points on 68.6 percent shooting in 1-2 week.
* Atlantic 10 -- Harper Williams, Massachusetts, 6-7 jr. center: Averaged 13.3 points and 7.7 rebounds in three conference wins.
* Big East -- Alonzo Mourning, Georgetown, 6-10 sr. center: 27 points, seven rebounds and six blocked shots in win over Syracuse.
* East Coast -- Demetrius Dudley, Hofstra, 6-4 jr. forward: Averaged 22 points, 8 rebounds and 6.4 assists in three conference victories.
* East Coast Women's -- Danielle Barry, Towson State, 5-11 so. forward: Averaged 17.7 points and 13 rebounds in 2-1 week.
* Metro Atlantic -- Kevin Green, Loyola, 6-4 sr. guard: 62 points, 17 rebounds and nine steals in three conference wins.
* Mid-Eastern Athletic -- Delon Turner, Florida A&M, 6-5 jr. forward: 46 points and 21 rebounds in two victories.
* Northeast -- Alex Blackwell, Monmouth, 6-8 sr. forward: Averaged 27 points and 11.5 rebounds in 2-0 week. Lester James, St. Francis N.Y., 6-7 sr. center: Averaged 20 points and 12 rebounds in two wins.
* Northeast Rookie -- Michael Watson, Mount St. Mary's, 6-4 fr. forward: 28 points on 10-10 shooting in overtime loss at Robert Morris.
* Northeast Women's -- Vanessa Blair, Mount St. Mary's, 6-0 sr. center: Honored for third straight week after averaging 20 points, 14 rebounds and 5 steals in two wins.
* Northeast Women's Rookie -- Heather Wable, Mount St. Mary's, 5-10 fr. guard: Averaged 15.5 points and 4.0 rebounds in 2-0 week.