Towson Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons reach title game Boys basketball

February 23, 1992|By Bob Clark | Bob Clark,Contributing Writer

There were no surprises in the semifinal round of the Catholic League tournament, as top seed and defending champion Cardinal Gibbons and No. 2 seed Towson Catholic advanced easily to tonight's championship game.

Using defense as they have all season, the sixth-ranked Crusaders (24-12) limited Calvert Hall (14-14) to just six points in both the first and third quarters and 10-for-37 shooting in the first three quarters. Cardinal Gibbons built a 47-22 lead on the way to a 63-37 victory in the second game of the doubleheader at Loyola College's Reitz Arena last night.

There was no semifinal miracle for Mount St. Joseph in the opening game. Towson Catholic opened a commanding lead in the second quarter and went on to register a 72-52 victory over the Gaels.

Gibbons and Towson Catholic, which split two regular-season meetings, will play for the championship at 8:15 tonight.

Gibbons' balanced scoring was led by senior guard Quintin Moody with 13 points and sophomore Richard Dent with 11. The only Cardinal in double figures was junior Chris Wilson with 12.

In the opening game, seventh-ranked Towson Catholic (21-11) had four players in double figures as they knocked upstart Mount St. Joseph from the tournament. Junior James Burrell scored 17 for Towson Catholic, Sharif Butler scored 16, senior point guard Sydney Johnson added 15 and Richard Rhinehart had 12.

Seniors Scott Dunn and Brian Dunn led the Gaels (10-21) with 16 and 15 points respectively.

Mount St. Joseph put an early scare into the Owls after Towson Catholic had scored the first eight points of the game.

The Gaels, fresh from a big upset over Loyola in Friday's opening round, rallied behind Dunn to pull within 14-12 after one quarter, and take the lead, 16-14, in the first minute of the second half.

But that seemed to light a spark under Towson Catholic, which turned up its defensive pressure and outscored the Gaels 28-8 through the rest of the second quarter, opening a 42-24 lead at intermission.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.