Dr. M. E. Randolph, ophthalmologist at Hopkins, dies
A memorial service for Dr. M. Elliott Randolph, a retired ophthalmologist who taught at the Wilmer Eye Institute of the Johns Hopkins medical school for many years and performed its first corneal transplant, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Chapel of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, Charles Street and Melrose Avenue.
Dr. Randolph, who was 86, died Sunday of a respiratory ailment at Keswick.
He retired from practice in 1982. The eye doctor's many patients had included members of the Colts and Orioles teams.
He performed the first corneal transplant at the Wilmer institute as its senior resident in 1937.
He also wrote a history of the institute with Dr. Robert M. Welch, a former student and fellow staff member at Hopkins, now retired as chairman of the ophthalmology department at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. Dr. Welch described him as "a true gentleman of the old school" in his dealings with both his patients and his colleagues.
Author of many professional papers, Dr. Randolph became professor emeritus at Hopkins in 1970.
He was also on the staffs of Union Memorial Hospital, the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and the Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, which merged with Maryland General Hospital.
A former president of the American Ophthalmological Society, he was a member of a number of other professional groups, including the Baltimore Monthly Medical Society, the Southern Medical Society, the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology and the American College of Surgeons.
The Baltimore native attended the Calvert School and the Boys' Latin School before his graduation from the Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va., and, in 1929, from the University of Virginia.
He was a 1933 graduate of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, serving his internship and residency at Hopkins Hospital.
At Virginia he had been a second baseman and captain of the baseball team. He was named to the honor societies Omicron Delta Kappa at Virginia and Alpha Omega Alpha at Hopkins.
His private practice, begun in 1938, was interrupted by service in the Army Medical Corps during World War II. He left the service as a lieutenant colonel with the Army Commendation Medal.
Later, he was a civilian consultant on ophthalmology to the surgeon general of the Army. He was one of the editors of the Army's history of ophthalmology in the war.
Dr. Randolph is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Pickett Davis; a daughter, Pickett Davis Randolph of Washington, D.C.; a son, M. Elliott Randolph Jr. of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Wilmer Institute Memorial Fund at the Johns Hopkins Hospital or the Eye Clinic of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
A Mass of Christian burial for Edward J. McDonough, who was the chief civilian purchasing agent at Edgewood Arsenal before his retirement in 1970, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Ursula's Roman Catholic Church, 8801 Harford Road.
Mr. McDonough, who lived in the Glenmont Apartments on Donachie Road, died Tuesday of cancer at Good Samaritan Hospital. He was 82.
He retired after 30 years at the Army post, where he also was a member of the board and secretary of the Materiel Command Federal Credit Union.
From 1933 to 1975, he was secretary of the Ozark Permanent Building and Loan Association in East Baltimore. Before his career as a civilian employee of the Army, he was a salesman for the Hercules Cement Co. and the John Hancock Life Insurance Co. and a purchasing agent for the Pen Mar Co., a building products firm.
Born in Baltimore, he was educated at St. Brigid's School and at St. Andrew's Commercial School, where he typed 125 words a minute in a demonstration.
He was a member of the Maryland Council of the Knights of Columbus and the Edward Patrick McDonough Division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, named for his father. He was a charter member of the Cheese Club.
Diagnosed as having Retinitis Pigmentosa at the age of 16 and nearly blind at the time of his death, he donated his eyes to the Johns Hopkins Hospital for research.
He is survived by his wife, the former Thelma C. Lewis; a son, E. Patrick McDonough of Baltimore; a daughter, R. Kathleen Perini of Hagerstown; two sisters, Rita A. McDonough of Parkville and Mary Margaret Stach of Baltimore; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Garden club official
Elizabeth W. Weaver, a former executive secretary of the Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland, died Feb. 10 at Union Memorial Hospital after a stroke a week earlier.
Mrs. Weaver, who was 80 and lived on Shadyside Road in Northwood for many years, operated the garden club office from 1948 until 1956.
In the 1960s, she did part-time work for Walker-Wilson Travel. She had been a member of the First Presbyterian Church for many years.
The former Elizabeth Williams was a native of Chase City, Va., and a graduate of Averett College in Danville, Va. She worked in Chase City as a Red Cross volunteer in 1942.
She moved to Baltimore while working for the Farm Credit Administration.
Her husband, Willard W. Weaver, is a retired chairman of the English department at the Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School.
In addition to her husband, her survivors include a sister, Mary Sours of Richmond, Va.; three nieces; and a nephew.
Private services were planned.