Msgr. John V. Ballard

February 19, 1992

Monsignor John V. Ballard, who retired Feb. 2 as pastor of the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Little Flower, died Saturday of respiratory illness at St. John Hall, Long Crandon, shortly after moving from the city rectory to the retirement home for priests in Baltimore County.

A Mass of Christian burial for Monsignor Ballard, who was 73, was being offered today at the church at Belair Road and Brendan Avenue.

He was pastor at the Shrine of the Little Flower from 1969 until his retirement. The priest was named a monsignor in 1970.

He was ordained in 1944 and was assistant pastor of St. Mary's Church in Hagerstown until 1952, when he became an assistant at Bolton Hill's Corpus Christi Church. He became the pastor there three years later.

Born in Nutley, N.Y., and reared in Baltimore, he was a graduate of St. Ann's School and completed his education at St. Charles College, the Basselin Institute at Catholic University and St. Mary's Seminary.

He is survived by several nieces and nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.