Msgr. John Ballard
Pastor at Little Flower
A Mass of Christian burial for Monsignor John V. Ballard, who retired Feb. 2 as pastor of the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Little Flower, will be offered at 11 a.m. today at the church at Belair Road and Brendan Avenue.
Monsignor Ballard, who was 73, died Saturday of respiratory illness at St. John Hall, Long Crandon, shortly after moving from the city rectory to the retirement home for priests in Baltimore County.
He was pastor at the Shrine of the Little Flower from 1969 until his retirement. The priest was named a monsignor in 1970.
For two years before his last assignment he had been pastor of St. Bernard's Church.
He was ordained in 1944 and was assistant pastor of St. Mary's Church in Hagerstown until 1952, when he became an assistant at Bolton Hill's Corpus Christi Church. He became the pastor there three years later.
In 1962, he was named archdiocesan director of the Legion of Decency. He served on several archdiocesan boards and commissions.
Born in Nutley, N.Y., but reared in Baltimore, he was a graduate of St. Ann's School and completed his education at St. Charles College, the Basselin Institute at Catholic University and St. Mary's Seminary.
He is survived by several nieces and nephews.
George W. Johnson
Real estate developer
Services for George W. Johnson, a retired commercial and industrial real estate developer, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Loring Byers Chapel, 8728 Liberty Road in Randallstown.
Mr. Johnson, who was 75 and lived in Phoenix, died Sunday at St. Joseph Hospital after a heart attack Feb. 11.
He retired more than a year ago. He had developed property in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia since the early 1960s.
Earlier, he had been a regional real estate official for the Cities Service Co. and the Atlantic Refining Co.
Born in New York City, he was reared in New Kensington, Pa., where he graduated from high school. He studied business at Duff's Iron City Business Institute in Pittsburgh and at George Washington University in Washington.
Active in sports, especially basketball and baseball in his youth, he served in the Navy as an athletic instructor during World War II.
Mr. Johnson was a member of the Fairview United Methodist Church.
He is survived by his wife, the former Hazel M. "Peg" Nutter; two brothers, Richard Johnson of Terre Haute, Ind., and Robert Johnson of Libertyville, Ill.; a sister, Mary Goodenow of New Kensington; and several nieces and nephews.
Red Cross volunteer
Private services for Mildred G. Hoffberger, a longtime volunteer for the American Red Cross and Sinai Hospital, were held Sunday at the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation's Hoffberger Chapel.
Mrs. Hoffberger died Friday of pneumonia at her home at Harbor Court Towers. She was 93.
In 30 years at Sinai, she logged almost 11,000 hours of volunteer service.
During World War II, she drove delivery trucks and ambulances in Baltimore for the American Red Cross and continued as a volunteer for the organization for 15 years.
Mrs. Hoffberger, the former Mildred G. Rosenstein, was born on Front Street near the Shot Tower in East Baltimore. She enjoyed telling her family stories about the vaudeville actors and actresses who stayed next door in a boarding house and who often practiced their music and acrobatics in the street. She also remembered the Baltimore fire of 1904.
In 1919, she married Jacob H. Hoffberger, whom she met when he delivered ice to her home in a horse-drawn wagon. He died in 1963.
When she was about 18, she obtained a driver's license, one of the first women in the state to do so.
She enjoyed reading and gardening and was a duckpin bowling champion.
She is survived by three sons, C. Bertram Hoffberger of Aldie, Va.; LeRoy E. Hoffberger of Baltimore, and Stanley A. Hoffberger of Houston; a sister, Harriet Barber of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
The family suggested that memorial contributions be sent to the Sinai Hospital's Women's Auxiliary, 2401 W. Belvedere Ave., Baltimore 21215.
Betty T. Marck
Betty T. Marck, who had been a secretary to Maryland Gov. Harry W. Nice, died Feb. 13 at Harford Memorial Hospital after a stroke. She was 86.
Mrs. Marck, who lived in Timonium, had been active in Republican politics and worked for Governor Nice in the late 1930s.
The former Betty Thayer was born in Baltimore.
During World War II she did volunteer work for the Red Cross at various posts where her husband, Army Maj. William John Marck Sr., was stationed. He retired as a real estate assessor in Baltimore before his death in 1973.
Before the couple moved to Timonium in 1960, Mrs. Marck was a director and vice president of the Lakeside Improvement Association.
A founder of the Springlake Woman's Club, she was active in its bridge and luncheon groups.
Mrs. Marck was a charter member of the Towson chapter of the American Association of Retired Persons and the Lutherville Senior Center.
She is survived by a son, William John Marck Jr. of Bel Air; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Services were held Monday at Baltimore's St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, where she was a charter member of St. Hilda's Guild.