Motive, suspect in killing elude policeAuthorities were...


February 17, 1992|By From Staff Reports

PRINCE GEORGE'S — Motive, suspect in killing elude police

Authorities were still lacking a motive and suspect yesterday in the shooting death of a woman and the wounding of her husband at their Clinton home Saturday night.

Police said the 33-year-old husband, whose name was not divulged, answered a knock at the door about 7 p.m., and was greeted by a gunshot that struck him in the right arm and shoulder.

As the 34-year-old wife, Sharon Wiggs, ran out of the house for help, the gunman shot her once or twice, killing her, police said.

The husband was taken to Southern Maryland Hospital, where he remained hospitalized in serious condition last night.

Police searched the area and found what they believed to be the murder weapon about a block from the couple's home in the 6600 block of Oak Leaf Court.

The couple's infant and 2-year-old daughter were in the home at the time but were unharmed.

Overheated light causes Elkton fire


An overheated fluorescent light fixture was blamed for a fire that heavily damaged an Elkton home improvement center early yesterday.

Damage to the J&J Home Improvement Center was estimated by fire officials at upward of $1 million.

Approximately 100 firefighters from Cecil County and New Castle County, Del., took more than three hours to bring the fire under control. No one was injured, officials said.

Investigators determined that the fire began in the first-floor ceiling where the fixture was located, close to an area where home improvement products were stored.

"The lumber sales area and storage area was saved. However, the hardware and home improvement area was destroyed," said Bob Thomas, spokesman for the state fire marshal's office.

Boy, 15, woman, 39 wounded in shootings


15-year-old boy and a 39-year-old woman were wounded in separate shooting incidents yesterday in Baltimore, authorities said.

Calvin Taylor was shot in the back about 2:10 a.m. after he apparently became caught in a cross-fire between two men in the 1100 block of North Collington Avenue.

The youth, who lives in the 2000 block of Ashland Avenue, was reported in critical condition last night at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The shooting remained under investigation.

Police said Mary Foye was shot twice in the left side after argument with her boyfriend at her home in the 2400 block of Barclay Street.

James Gilbert Browder, 61, of the 2400 block of Barclay Street, was charged with attempted murder and using a .22-caliber handgun in the commission of a felony. He was being held at the Eastern District lockup awaiting a bail hearing.

The woman was listed in good condition last night at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Police said that the gunman also attempted to shoot George Nicholson, 40, also of the 2400 block of Barclay Street, but that the weapon misfired.

Pen Lucy man charged in slaying


City homicide detectives charged a Pen Lucy man with murder Saturday after his live-in girlfriend died of stab wounds she suffered during a fight in their home Friday night.

Milton Thomas Smith, 38, and Roxanne Brown Martin, 30, both were found on the floor of their apartment in the 800 block of Nat Court shortly after neighbors called police at 9:27 p.m.

Ms. Martin, suffering from multiple stab wounds from a small kitchen knife, was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where she died about 4 a.m.

Police charged Mr. Smith with first-degree murder. Detective Christopher Graul said police do not know what sparked the argument.

Neighbors told police that Ms. Martin ran from the apartment to the second-floor landing and screamed for help but was quickly pulled back inside, Detective Graul said. Neighbors did not attempt to intervene other than to call police, he said.


Jewish agency helps refugees gain residency

A Jewish immigration agency has helped 193 local Russian-Jewish immigrants gain permanent U.S. residency status faster than usual through a special "Green Card Day" program.

The service was sponsored by HIAS, the Hebrew Immigration Aid Society.

The agency recently offered interviews with Immigration and Naturalization Service officers to 194 people. All but one, who was bedridden, responded.

Refugees must have lived in this country a year before applying for a green card, said HIAS Director Suzanne Offit, and because of the backlog of applications, they wait about a year after that for an interview. The Green Card Day saved these recent refugees several months of waiting, she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.