Gym Injury Suit Filed

News in brief

February 16, 1992

An Ellicott City woman has filed a $100,000 lawsuit against the county Board of Education, claiming that a county teacher's negligence caused her daughter to be seriously injured in her gym class three years ago.

In a lawsuit filed in Howard County Circuit Court, Joy Barnes claims that her daughter, Angelina Farace, received serious neck injuries in a gym class at Running Brook Elementary in February 1989.

Also named as defendants in the lawsuit are Superintendent Michael E. Hickey, Running Brook principal Donald Setzer and physical education teacher Donald Bull.

The lawsuit alleges that during a gym class, Bull improperly instructed Angelina, who was 10 at the time, to perform a maneuver called a neck bridge.

Barnes claims that Setzershould have known that the exercise was too advanced and dangerous for a child of 10. Angelina has experienced severe pain and permanent injuries since she performed the neck bridge exercise, the lawsuit states.

SCHOOL BOARD MEETS TUES.

The county school board meeting that was canceled Thursday because of snow has been rescheduled for 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Department of Education, 10910 Route 108.

The board will conduct a public budget work session starting at 7:30 p.m. on special education programs, the topic that had been scheduled for Thursday evening.

The board will also discuss starting school next year before Labor Day. The problem faced by the committee of parents,teachers, students and school officials who drew up the proposed school calendar is that Labor Day falls late in the month, on Sept. 7.

Delaying the start of school until after Sept. 7 would make the last day of classes June 24, 1993.

The budget work session originallyscheduled for Tuesday is rescheduled for 7:30 p.m. Wednes

day in the board meeting room at the Department of Education.

C&P OFFERS EXTENSION

Columbia residents who may have to pay hundreds of dollars more in phone bills unless they allow the phone company to change their numbers were offered a six-month extension Tuesday in which to make up their minds.

Most said they didn't want the extension. They said they want a choice of accepting the new number or keeping their old numbers at the rate they are now paying.

Chesapeake and PotomacTelephone Co. representative James E. Tracy told the crowd of about 60 people from the Kendall Ridge neighborhood in the Village of Long Reach Tuesday that the company is willing to give them six months more to decide whether they want to get new numbers or keep the numbers they have now and pay a premium.

What upset many of the residents is that the new numbers

would have an Ellicott City, rather than aColumbia, exchange. The cost of keeping the Columbia exchange would be $17.25 a month.

Some residents would pay even more. These people have trunk lines to Montgomery and Prince George's counties and would be billed as much as $1,089 a year for the lines.

The phone company says it is willing to give customers the six month extension -- it originally wanted a response this week -- because the company madea mistake in giving some Kendall Ridge customers Columbia lines.

Residents told Tracy they want their phone numbers to remain unchanged, but Tracy said that would be against the law.

Maryland People'sCounsel John M. Glynn, who represents the public in cases before thestate Public Utilities Commission, offered a different solution. If the phone company agreed to let people keep the numbers they now havewithout charging extra, the commission would approve it, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.