Dr. Charlotte McCarthy, longtime physician, dies Dr. Charlotte McCarthy, an internist who practiced medicine in Baltimore for more than 60 years, died Feb. 4 at Johns Hopkins Hospital after being hospitalized for pneumonia. She was 100 years old.
Dr. McCarthy, who had an office on St. Paul Street in Charles Village for a half-century, was known as a bright and caring physician.
Fellow doctors said she would spend a great deal of time listening to her patients because she believed that underlying psychological factors often caused illness.
"She insisted on calling herself a '60-minute doctor' because that is how much time she would spend with them," said her niece, Deborah Harvey.
Because of her gentle and caring manner, Dr. McCarthy had patients who insisted on seeing her even after she closed her office in March 1977, when she was in her early 80s. She still saw several patients when she was in her early 90s.
She spent 10 years -- between 1948 and 1958 -- studying at the Washington School of Psychiatry, and was admitted as an affiliate even though she was not a psychiatrist or psychoanalyst.
Born in New York on Dec. 20, 1891, she was the eldest of five children. Her father, a banker, moved to Evanston, Ill., where she grew up.
Dr. McCarthy attended the Chicago Normal College for two years, studying to be a teacher. At the same time, she took humanities courses at the University of Chicago.
Before finishing her education, she went to Europe with the Red Cross during World War I. In the French town of Lens, which had been leveled by shelling, she took care of children injured by ordnance in the rubble. After working with the children, she decided to become a physician.
She returned in 1919 to Chicago, where she earned a bachelor's degree in humanities from the University of Chicago.
Dr. McCarthy graduated from the University of Chicago Medical School in 1924 and from the Rush Medical College in 1925.
While at the hospital, she met Dr. Hugh Wilson Josephs, a Baltimore pediatrician. They married, and she moved to Baltimore.
At first she was the school doctor at Bryn Mawr School, then opened her practice on St. Paul Street. At the time, being a female physician was difficult. Dr. McCarthy told her niece that more than a year passed before patients came into her office.
She became an attending physician in 1935 at the former Hospital for the Women of Maryland, later absorbed by Greater Baltimore Medical Center, and in 1938 she was granted privileges at Johns Hopkins.
Her husband insisted that she keep her maiden name. For many years their next-door neighbor in Ruxton was Owen Lattimore, a Hopkins professor who was hounded by Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the anti-Communist fervor of the early 1950s. They shared a mailbox, which carried the unlikely pairing of the names Lattimore and McCarthy.
Dr. McCarthy and her husband did not have children, but she was a doting aunt to her nieces and nephews.
Her husband died in 1980, at the age of 88. In his honor, Dr. McCarthy endowed the Hugh Josephs Visiting Professorship at the Hopkins Medical School, to which the family suggests memorial donations.
She is survived by two younger sisters, Lucy McCarthy Barr of Montecido, Calif., and Janet McCarthy Stults of Sarasota, Fla.
Dr. McCarthy donated her body to the medical school. Her family is planning a memorial service to be held in the spring.
F. E. von Schwerdtner
A memorial service for Friedrich E. von Schwerdtner, former Anne Arundel County planning administrator and a consultant on land use, zoning and demographics, will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Unitarian Church of Anne Arundel County in Annapolis.
Mr. von Schwerdtner, 67, died Monday at the Washington
Hospital Center of complications after surgery. He lived in his family's 300-year-old house in Annapolis.
He joined the Anne Arundel County planning and zoning office in 1955. A year later, he took over the top job, which he held until he resigned in 1964.
The Annapolis native was a graduate of the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and studied civil and industrial engineering and business management at the Johns Hopkins University.
During World War II, he served as a gunner on a B-25 bomber in the Pacific. His decorations included the Air Medal.
Fritz von Schwerdtner, as he was widely known, was a member of the Annapolitan Club and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
He is survived by his wife of 20 years, the former Patricia White; two daughters, Christina and Anna von Schwerdtner, and a son, Thomas von Schwerdtner, all of Annapolis; two sons and a daughter from an earlier marriage to the former Muriel Knudson, Jonathan and Eric von Schwerdtner and Julianna Duffy, all of Annapolis; two sisters, Anne von Schwerdtner of Baltimore and Martha Lee Dorney of New Orleans; a brother, Dietrich von Schwerdtner of Hightstown, N.J.; and two grandsons.
Dorothea T. Mackey
Active in Hydes church