Man is stabbed in his home Victim's wife being questioned in fatal stabbing incident.

February 14, 1992|By Joe Nawrozki and William B. Talbott | Joe Nawrozki and William B. Talbott,Staff Writers Richard Irwin and Roger Twigg contributed to this story.

A 33-year-old man was fatally stabbed early today in the kitchen of the Baltimore County apartment he shared with his wife and two daughters, police said.

The man's wife was being held at the Woodlawn police station for questioning in the killing, said Sgt. Stephen Doarnberger.

Police have not officially charged her with a criminal offense so they were not releasing her name.

Police identified the dead man as Derek Michael Anderson. He was pronounced dead at the scene about 4:30 a.m. from a single stab wound of the chest.

Police believe the homicide occurred after a night of drinking by the victim and three of his friends at the Lantern Hills Apartments in the 3400 block of Aurora Ave. in the Woodmoor section of the county.

Sergeant Doarnberger said Mr. Anderson had been drinking for several hours with some friends when he apparently got into an argument with his wife. Police did not know what caused the disagreement.

The woman retreated into a rear bedroom where she stayed until her husband came in and allegedly grabbed her by the shoulders, Sergeant Doarnberger said.

She ran to the kitchen, police said, where the husband allegedly attempted to grab her again. Mr. Anderson was stabbed once in the chest with a kitchen knife taken from a drawer, Sergeant Doarnberger said.

Police were called through the 911 emergency number. Officers found the victim lying face up on the kitchen floor.

The couple's two daughters, 3 and 11, slept through the incident. They were taken to a relative's house.

Meanwhile, city police today continued to try to identify a man gunned down last night, apparently by two assailants, as he stood on a street in East Baltimore.

Homicide Detective Scott Keller said the victim died at Johns Hopkins Hospital of bullet wounds to the lower torso shortly after 11 p.m.

Police said the man was shot several times with large-caliber semiautomatic weapons shortly after 10 p.m. in the 1000 block of E. Hoffman St. near Holbrook Street.

A dozen empty shell casings of different calibers were found on the ground near where Eastern District police found the victim.

The detective said the man was to be fingerprinted today at the state medical examiner's office in an effort to identify him.

A motive for the slaying was not known and no arrests had been made, police said.

About 11:25 a.m. yesterday, Antwan Snyder, 19, of the 5900 block of Glennor Road, was fatally shot in the 1600 block of Gorsuch Ave.

Mr. Snyder was standing in front of a confectionery at Gorsuch Avenue and Polk Street when he was shot dead, said Agent Arlene K. Jenkins, a police spokeswoman.

Agent Jenkins said the victim was shot in the head and chest with a large-caliber weapon and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police were seeking a man described as about 19 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighing about 140 pounds. He was wearing a dark jacket and tan boots.

Police said the possible assailant suffered a minor leg wound when he was shot during a dispute with Mr. Snyder Wednesday night. The dispute was drug-related and revenge is the apparent motive in the slaying, police said.

Just before midnight Wednesday, Rodney Maurice Madden, 24, of the 2100 block of Bolton St., was found shot numerous times in the 2100 block of Booth St., police said.

The victim, shot in the head and neck, died at University of Maryland Medical Center about 12:10 a.m. yesterday, police said.

Police said two plastic vials of suspected cocaine were found lying on the ground near Mr. Madden. No arrests have been made.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.