Around the perimeter
* STILL A GOOD CATCH: Four years ago, the St. John's women's program was in the recruiting chase for Walbrook's twin towers. Dafne Lee ended up at Maryland, but St. John's gladly took Cozette Ballentine.
St. John's is disappointed in its current 12-9 record, but Ballentine is putting the finishing touches on a solid career. A 6-foot forward, she leads the team in scoring and rebounding with averages of 19.0 and 9.0, respectively. She's making 47.8 percent of her field-goal attempts and 70 percent of her free throws, and is St. John's third-leading shot-blocker.
"She's our go-to player," coach Joe Mullaney Jr. said. "Cozette scores inside, but she can also shoot from the outside, up to 15-17 feet. She's quicker than most players her size, and that's one of her biggest advantages."
Ballentine was a Big East first-team all-star last season, when she averaged 22.4 points and 8.8 rebounds. For her career, she has 1,579 points, No. 3 all-time at St. John's, and 800 rebounds, No. 2. An accounting major, she's on course to get a degree in the fall.
* STAYING HEALTHY: His first college season was slowed by injuries, but Drew Phillips is now a healthy producer for North Carolina-Wilmington. A 1989 graduate of Cardinal Gibbons who spent a year at West Point's prep school, Phillips missed the first four games of last season with a knee injury and six more with a broken jaw. * ACC -- Hubert Davis, North Carolina, 6-4 sr. guard: Led Tar Heels in win over No. 1 Duke and 22-point comeback against Wake Forest.
* Atlantic 10 -- Ricky Robinson, West Virginia, 6-8 so. forward: 49 points in three conference victories.
* East Coast -- Demetrius Dudley, Hofstra, 6-4 jr. forward: Averaged 35 points and 8.5 rebounds in 1-1 week. Terrance Jacobs, Towson State, 6-3 sr. guard: Averaged 24 points and 7.3 rebounds in three victories.
* East Coast Rookie -- Terrance Alexander, Towson State, 6-3 fr. guard: Honored for fifth time after averaging 16.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 3-0 week.
* Metro Atlantic -- Randy Woods, La Salle, 6-0 sr. guard: Averaged 33 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists in conference wins over Iona and Loyola.
* Metro Atlantic Co-Women's -- Trish Elser, Fairfield, 6-3 sr. center: Dulaney High graduate averaged 20 points, seven rebounds and five blocks in 1-2 week.
* Mid-Eastern Athletic -- DeLon Turner, Florida A&M, 6-5 jr. forward: Gathered 53 points and 29 rebounds in wins over Coppin State and Morgan State.
* Mid-Eastern Athletic Women's Rookie -- Monica Benson, Coppin State, 5-10 fr. forward: 19 points, six rebounds and five assists in two wins.
* Northeast -- Myron Walker, Robert Morris, 6-4 so. guard: Averaged 24 points and eight rebounds in three conference wins.
* Northeast Women's -- Vanessa Blair, Mount St. Mary's, 6-0 sr. center: 43 points and 33 rebounds in two conference wins.
* Northeast Women's Rookie -- Heather Wable, Mount St. Mary's, 5-10 fr. guard: Averaged 14 points and 6.5 rebounds in 2-0 week.
* Patriot -- Craig White, Lafayette, 6-5 sr. forward: 25 points on 9-for-10 shooting in win over Army. Patrick King, Bucknell, 6-6 sr. forward: Averaged 22 points on 78.9 percent shooting in 2-0 week.
* Patriot Rookie -- Derrick Wall, Navy, 6-6 fr. forward: Earned honor for third time by averaging 13 points and nine rebounds in 2-1 week.