Heroin taken into prison, police allege

February 10, 1992|By Peter Hermann

A Baltimore County woman facing a second trial in the murder of her husband has been charged with taking heroin into a Hagerstown prison where a son is serving time on drug charges.

Marie Delores Apostoledes, 62, was arrested Friday morning after state police received a tip that she was carrying drugs intended for Frederick Apostoledes, authorities said.

Mrs. Apostoledes of Dundalk was charged with possessing heroin. She was released from the Washington County Detention Center Saturday after posting a $2,500 bond.

The woman's husband, Stephen Apostoledes, 58, who had terminal cancer, was shot three times in the head in the kitchen of the couple's home in the 2000 block of Larkhall Road on Aug. 5, 1988.

Police arrested Mrs. Apostoledes four days later at a funeral home when she went to view her husband's body.

Mr. Apostoledes' stepson, John L. Lacey, was arrested a day earlier at a hotel on Pulaski Highway.

Lacey pleaded guilty in February 1989 to second-degree murder and is serving a 30-year prison sentence. He previously had served 18 years for killing a man in South Carolina.

At Mrs. Apostoledes' trial in 1989, charges of conspiracy to commit murder and accessory after the fact were dismissed and the jury was unable to reach a verdict on charges of murder and unlawful use of a handgun.

At the trial, Mrs. Apostoledes testified that Lacey disliked his stepfather.

In August, the Maryland Court of Appeals ruled that she could be retried on the murder charges, rejecting Mrs. Apostoledes' argument that another trial would violate her constitutional protection against double jeopardy.

Baltimore County Deputy State's Attorney Howard B. Merker said yesterday the murder trial will take place later this year.

Sgt. Gregory M. Shipley, spokesman for the state prison system, said police received a tip that Mrs. Apostoledes was taking drugs to Frederick Apostoledes at the Maryland Correctional Institution in Hagerstown.

He said a drug-sniffing dog detected the contraband inside a locker where Mrs. Apostoledes had stored her belongings while seeing her son.

Visitors have access to both the locker and the prisoner they are seeing, Sergeant Shipley said.

When she returned to the locker about 11:25 a.m. and took her purse, Mrs. Apostoledes was searched and a small quantity of heroin was found, Sergeant Shipley said.

He said he did not know how long Frederick Apostoledes was serving.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.