* Navy Seaman Recruit David W. Thornton recently completed basic training at Recruit Training Command, Orlando, Fla.
During the cycle,recruits are taught general military subjects designed to prepare them for further academic and on-the-job training in one of the Navy's 85 occupational fields.
Studies include seamanship, close-order drill, naval history and first aid.
Thornton is the son of William J. Thornton of Hampsteadand Elizabeth A. Blount of Sykesville. He joined the Navy in October1991.
* Marine Pvt. Wendy A. Harris, daughter of Walter A. Harrisof Westminster, recently completed the Basic Electrician's Course.
During the course at Marine Corps Engineer School, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, N.C., students receive instruction on the repair andmaintenance of generators, transformers and power lines.
In addition to the mechanical skills involved, studies include circuitry, electrical theory and related safety procedures.
The 1991 graduate ofWestminster High School joined the Marine Corps in July 1991.
* Marine Lance Cpl. Chad M. Austin recently was promoted to his present rank while serving with 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion, 1st Marine Division, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
He is the son of Arthur S. Austin of Manchester. The 1990 graduate of North Carroll High School joined the Marine Corps in October 1990.
* Marine Pvt. Joshua A. Courtney and Marine Pfc. Rodney J. Warner recently completed recruit training. Warner also was promoted to his present rank.
During the training cycle at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., recruits are taught the basics of battlefield survival, introduced to typical military daily routine and personal and professional standards.
All recruits participate in an active physical conditioning program and gain proficiency in a variety of military skills, including first aid, rifle marksmanship and close-order drill. Teamwork and self-discipline are emphasized throughout the cycle.
Courtney is the son ofJoseph A. Courtney of Mount Airy and a 1991 graduate of South Carroll High School.
Warner is the son of Margaret A. and stepson of Douglas G. Burger of Union Bridge.
* Navy Airman Apprentice Michael W. Jenkins recently returned to Norfolk, Va., with Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 122 (VAW-122) following a seven-month deploymentto the Mediterranean and the Red Sea.
He deployed with VAW-122, embarked aboard the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal in May 1991 and participated in various operations.
His squadron also supported Kurdish relief efforts by taking part in more than 900 flights into northern Iraq providing tactical reconnaissance and combat air patrol.
Along with USS Forrestal, VAW-122 supported several multi-national training exercises with forces from Great Britain, Turkey, Spain, Italy,Germany and the Netherlands.
Jenkins is the son of Jerry Jenkins of Manchester and Sherrie Wisner of Westminster. The 1988 graduate ofNorth Carroll High School joined the Navy in August 1988.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Alan S. Stone, son of John C. and Vera E. Stone of Westminster, recently returned to Norfolk, Va., aboard the destroyer tender USS Shenandoah following a seven-month deployment to theMediterranean and the Red Sea.
He deployed with the USS Forrestalbattle group in May 1991 and participated in various operations, including support for the Kurdish relief effort.
USS Shenandoah also conducted maritime operations in support of the United Nations resolutions, regarding trade with Iraq, as part of Operation Desert Storm.
The 1990 Westminster High School graduate joined the Navy in September 1990.