Kenneth Carter, Westinghouse engineer, diesA Mass of...


January 29, 1992

Kenneth Carter, Westinghouse engineer, dies

A Mass of Christian burial for Kenneth Ray Carter, an electrical engineer at Westinghouse who was active in many church-related and community endeavors and had been volunteer manager of a soup kitchen, will be offered at 7 p.m. today at St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 1900 St. Paul St.

Mr. Carter, who lived in Gardenville, died of a heart attack Saturday at Francis Scott Key Medical Center. He was 61.

Born in Humansville, Mo, he was reared in the nearby town of Fair Play where he graduated from high school in 1948.

He joined the Army in 1949 and served as his battalion's communications chief with the rank of sergeant.

While stationed at Fort Meade, he met his wife, the former Shirley Jeanne Chelton, who lived in Parkville. The two corresponded while he was stationed in England and were married when he returned to Maryland after his discharge in 1953.

Settling in Baltimore, Mr. Carter joined the staff at Westinghouse and worked there for nearly 40 years. He was hired as a technician and advanced to an engineering position. At his death, he was a principal engineer, managing support and maintenance for electronic airborne systems such as the F-16 and the U.S. Customs Service radar.

He was a Certified Professional Logistician who received numerous awards for quality and technical excellence.

He earned his degree in electrical engineering from the Johns Hopkins University in 1978.

He was especially concerned with helping the hungry and the poor. For many years, he volunteered his time as manager of the Manna House soup kitchen. He enjoyed working with the other volunteers who staffed the kitchen, especially students from Loyola High School.

He also volunteered at holiday dinners for the hungry at St. Mark's Lutheran Church, where he was a member. He was on St. Mark's property committee and had been a church council member. He enjoyed doing volunteer maintenance at St. Mark's and spent many Saturday afternoons working on the complex boiler system there.

For a few years, he was a member of the neighboring Seventh Baptist Church, where he designed the heating system for the Midtown Children's Center, a day-care facility.

Mr. Carter was long active in the Frankford Improvement Association and was its secretary at the time of his death. In 1982, the organization presented him with a Citizen of the Year award for his work with "neighbors, youth, the hungry, community organizations, churches and government."

He was one of two lay members on the Mayor's Coordinating Council for Criminal Justice in the William Donald Schaefer administration, and he received a citation from the mayor

for outstanding community service.

He enjoyed crabbing, gardening and stamp and coin collecting. In recent years, he had begun to research family history.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Carter's survivors are a son, David Eugene Carter of Baltimore; a daughter, JoAnne C. Broadwater of Norrisville; two brothers, Charles Carter of Baltimore and James Carter of Christiana, Tenn.; and two grandchildren.

Lillie F. Tymous

insurance agent

Services for Lillie F. Tymous, a retired insurance agent, will be held at 7:30 p.m. today at the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynns Falls Parkway.

Mrs. Tymous, who lived on North Longwood Street, died Thursday at Maryland General Hospital after a stroke. She was 77.

She retired about 1970, having worked since 1940 for the Mutual Benefit Insurance Co., now the North Carolina Mutual Insurance Co.

The former Lillie F. Crump was reared in her native Suffolk, Va., and in Baltimore. She was a 1932 graduate of Douglass High School.

Mrs. Tymous was a member of the Morning Star Club, a social group.

Her husband, William H. Tymous, died in 1974.

She is survived by a son, Donald H. Tymous of Baltimore, four nieces and two nephews.

Leonard Carpenter

Former sheriff

Services for Leonard M. Carpenter, a retired trailer park owner and former Baltimore County sheriff, will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Stump Funeral Home in Arnoldsburg, W.Va.

Mr. Carpenter, 73, died Sunday in Orma, W.Va., at the home of his brother after an apparent heart attack.

He was appointed to fill out the term of Sheriff Gilbert L. Deyle, who died in December 1973, but when Mr. Carpenter ran for a full term in the November 1974 elections he was defeated by Charles H. Hickey Jr.

Later in the 1970s, he sold Carpenter's Trailer Court on Old North Point Road and moved to Little Orleans, where he remained until returning to the town of his birth about a year ago.

He had settled in the Baltimore area in the late 1930s and worked at the Bethlehem Steel Corp. shipyard in Sparrows Point.

He took night courses at the Johns Hopkins University during World War II.

He was active in Democratic politics in Baltimore County and was a member of the Patapsco Lodge of the Masons and the Forest Sportsmen's Club.

His wife, the former Constance Simonsen, died in 1986.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.