Here's the king's favorite pound cake recipe. The recipe, for Joyce Graham of Baltimore, is from Mary E. McCartney, also of Baltimore. Several readers sent us identical copies. Joyce Eiken of Towson said the cake is very rich and delicious. She says it's important to follow the recipe exactly.
Elvis Presley Whipping Cream Pound Cake
3 cups sugar
1/2 pound softened butter
7 eggs, room temperature
3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Thoroughly cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan set in cold oven and turn heat to 350 degrees. Bake one hour to 70 minutes until a sharp knife inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool in pan five minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Thoroughly wrapped, this cake will keep several days.
* Mary Smith of Millerstown, Pa. wants a spinach lasagna roll recipe that does not use a tomato sauce. Mrs. Smith says the recipe uses either a white sauce or a cheese sauce.
* Rosanna Carter of Baltimore is looking for a Tortuga rum cake recipe.
* Daisy Wurtz of Sunbury, Pa., wants a pumpkin whoppie pie recipe.
* Charlotte Williams of Timonium is searching for a cheese lace appetizer recipe.
* Linda Brown of Baltimore is searching for old-fashioned lace cookie recipes.