Man Killed In Bike Crash

Police and fire scan

January 26, 1992

EMORY — A 19-year-old Reisterstown man was killed yesterday in a dirt bike accident on a road in eastern Carroll County, state police said.

Steven Alascio, of the 12300 block of Bonfire Drive, lost control of his Suzuki off-road motorcycle as he rounded a corner on Lawndale Road at Brown Road shortly after 11:30 a.m., police said.

The bike ran off the road, entered the front yard of a home and struck a tree, throwing Alascio; both he and the vehicle struck the house.

Alascio, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead atthe scene by a deputy county medical examiner.

The motorcycle wasnot registered, nor was it approved for street use, police said.

Police said the fatality brought to 26 the number of people killed onMaryland roadways so far this year, compared with 36 at the same time last year.


If you plan to kick back a couple of beers during the big game today, the state police have a message for you: Don't.

Troopers in Carroll and around the state are participating in the federally funded PASS (Police Advocating Super Bowl Sobriety) program.

According to a statement issued from the Westminster barracks, additional troopers will be patrolling county roads all day. All will have access to Breathalyzer test equipment, and, state police say, they will confiscate drivers licenses if blood alcohol levels are 0.10 percent or higher.

Drunken driving arrests in Maryland were down slightly in 1991 from the previous year, police said. Of the 31,712 people arrested for DWI in 1991, 19,180 had their licenses immediately confiscated, police said.


A Reisterstown man who sold almost $2,000 worth of bogus advertising services to 18 North Carroll businesses last week was given a suspended sentence of a year in prison.

In sentencing Howard Kirk Blaustein, 34, Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck ordered him to pay back the money he stole from the small businesses and to perform community service. He also was placed under supervised probation.

Blaustein was convicted last August on one count of theft over $300 as a result of the scheme, in which he represented himself as an Advertising Journalsalesman offering to print 10,000 fliers for the businesses.

He had been charged with 19 counts of theft under $300 in addition to thefelony theft charge. Those charges were dropped.

Blaustein could have been sentenced to up to 15 years in prison and fined up to $1,000.

Wednesday's sentencing was the third time Blaustein appeared before Beck awaiting a disposition to his case; a motion for a new trial that was filed last month by his attorney was dropped Wednesday after the sentencing.


A 22-year-old Sykesville man whose drunken driving killed a 52-year-old Walkersville resident will serve the rest of his three-year prison sentence in the work-release program at the County Detention Center.

In granting a sentence reduction for Robert Kenneth Sauter, Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck on Wednesday said Sauter had been living "a nightmare" since the April 20, 1990, accident that killed Charles Robert Henderson.

Last March, Beck sentenced Sauter to three years in prison and fined him $1,000 after he pleaded guilty to automobile manslaughter and driving while intoxicated.

Since then, Sauter has served time in several state prerelease facilities, including the Sykesville Laundry Camp.

Sauter most likely will work in the restaurant industry during the hours he is not at the Detention Center.


Two Baltimore County men suspected of theft and leading state police on a brief high-speed car chase Wednesday morning were being held in the Carroll County Detention Center last week.

Randolph Dempsey AndersonIII, 25, of the 8400 block of Horatio Drive in Randallstown, was being held in lieu of $7,500 bail, and Christopher Lee Mathias, 20, was being held in lieu of $7,500 bail late Friday.

Anderson was charged with driving while intoxicated, fleeing and eluding an officer, breaking and entering, several counts of theft and possession of almost 4 grams of marijuana.

Mathias was charged with breaking and entering and several counts of theft.

The charges stemmed from an early morning chase along Route 140 Wednesday. Tfc. Mike Vanek observed a Volkswagen pick-up traveling at high speed eastbound on Route 140 nearFinksburg, police said. Vanek tried to stop the truck, but it continued south onto Route 91. The truck stopped at Cold Saturday Drive in Finksburg, and its two occupants ran from the vehicle, according to police. The occupants fled to a wooded area, where Vanek and Tfc. Leonard Lucas found two suspects.

The pickup was stolen from the J. J.Gloss Appliance store in Finksburg, police said. In the truck, police found $187 in cash and more than $400 in merchandise, which apparently had been stolen earlier in the evening from Feeser's Market on Littlestown Pike near Westminster.

Feeser's had been broken into late Tuesday night, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.