Apartment fire kills elderly man

January 24, 1992

The wife of a retired minister was in critical and unstable condition today after she was overcome by smoke in a fire that claimed the life of her husband, a spokeswoman at the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore said.

The four-alarm fire destroyed the couple's basement apartment in the former Frederick Douglass High School in West Baltimore.

Sally Page, in her 80s, was overcome by smoke that filled the apartment and killed her husband, the Rev. Oliver Page, also in his 80s.

Capt. Patrick Flynn, a Fire Department spokesman, said the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in a bedroom baseboard that set a bed on fire.

Captain Flynn said it appeared that Reverend Page was trying to extinguish the fire by throwing water on it from a bathroom sink when he was overcome by smoke. His body was found on the bathroom floor.

Two other tenants, Raymond Latham, 70, and Virginia Harrison, 76, were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation. Each was listed in good condition today.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.