American Brewery fire damages buildingA three-alarm fire...


January 20, 1992|By From Staff Reports

EAST BALTIMORE — American Brewery fire damages building

A three-alarm fire heavily damaged a building at the vacant American Brewery complex in East Baltimore yesterday, but the brewery's landmark building was unscathed, city firefighters said.

The blaze was reported about 5:30 p.m. in one of the storage buildings at the brewery site in the 1600 block of North Gay Street.

Firefighters said the blaze appeared suspicious and was under investigation.

The brewery complex, which includes eight buildings in the 1600 and 1700 blocks of North Gay St., was built in 1887 to house the John Frederick Wiessner brewery.

Six of the eight buildings are being razed and others are slated for renovation under a urban renewal project.

Another fire last night heavily damaged a group of suites at the Marriott Residence Inn on Beaver Dam Road in Cockeysville. No serious injury was reported, and the cause remained under investigation.

Fire forces dozens from apartments


A fire swept though a Baltimore County apartment house yesterday, forcing two dozen people, including an elderly woman in a wheelchair, into the bitter cold.

Several occupants said the blaze was started by a child playing with a cigarette lighter in an apartment on the top floor of Park East garden apartment complex off Hazelwood Avenue in the Golden Ring area.

No one was seriously hurt in the 9:20 a.m. blaze, although two people were treated at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center for minor injuries, fire officials said.

"I had just taken my son out of the tub when I heard my husband yell, 'Get Joseph and the baby. It's a fire,' " said Ingrid Peppler.

She and her husband, Mark, had moved with their children into the two-bedroom apartment at 2102 Flintshire Road just Saturday evening. "He grabbed two coats, we opened the door and saw smoke everywhere," she said.

The couple ran down three flights of steps with their son and 4-month-old daughter.

Firefighters later salvaged a few photo albums and an antique medicine cabinet given to the couple by Mrs. Peppler's Swedish grandmother.

"We lost everything else," said Mrs. Peppler.

The Red Cross provided motel accommodations for one displaced family, while the apartment complex management found temporary homes for the others, officials said.

15-year-old charged in man's slaying


A 15-year-old Baltimore youth has been charged with first-degree murder in the shotgun killing of a 45-year-old man last month in the Lafayette Courts public housing project that police suspect was drug related.

The suspect, Tyree David Moorehead of the 100 block of North Colvin Street, was the fourth teen-ager in the past week to be charged as an adult with first-degree murder.

The victim, Larry Don Scott, was shot in the lobby of a Lafayette Court high rise Dec. 19 during an argument over drugs, city homicide detectives said.

The Moorehead youth was arrested at 8 p.m. Saturday after investigators, who had been looking for him since the shooting, received a tip that he was staying with a friend on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Woman found dead in Silver Spring


An unidentified woman wearing only blue sweat pants was found dead yesterday morning outside a Silver Spring elementary school, but Montgomery County police said they had no indication how the woman died.

The 5-foot, 100-pound woman was found about 9:50 a.m. face down in a field near Montgomery Knolls Elementary School, in the 800 block of Daleview Drive, by a woman walking her dog.

Police said the dead woman was black, 25 to 30 years old, and had long, braided black hair. There was no sign of foul play, police said. The body was sent to the state medical examiner's office in Baltimore for an autopsy.

Perkins escapee caught on streets of Easton


A Shore man who killed his mother in 1985 is back in a state hospital for the criminally insane after escaping and spending more than a month at large.

John Joseph Oross, 27, originally of Denton, was charged with escape, resisting arrest and three counts of assault and battery after being captured by state police Friday in Easton.

He had been sought since Nov. 25, when he walked away from the Hamilton House, a pre-release facility in the 500 block of Cathedral Street in Baltimore, police said. The facility is operated by the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center in Jessup.

Trooper Frank Russo of the Easton barracks said he spotted the man shortly after 3 p.m. Friday and, after radioing for assistance, attempted to arrest him. He said the man became violent and resisted attempts to handcuff him.

Trooper Russo said the man was taken before a District Court commissioner and released to the custody of Perkins officials, who returned him to the hospital Friday night.

Oross was committed to Perkins in 1985 after being found not criminally responsible on a charge of first-degree murder, police said.

He had been charged in the shooting death of his 64-year-old mother.

15-year-old charged in man's slaying


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.