* Marine Capt. Robert L. Dyson, son of Nancy L. and Thomas C. Dyson Jr. of Mount Airy, was promoted to his current rank while serving at Marine Corps Recruiting Station, Philadelphia.
The 1987 grad of the University of Mississippi, in Oxford, joined the Corps in September1981.
* Marine Pfc. Seth A. Benge, son of Verlie A. and Karen L. Benge of Millers, recently completed recruit training and was promoted to his present rank.
The 1991 graduate of North Carroll High joined the Corps in September 1991.
* Navy Airman Apprentice George H. Tutor and Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class John D. McElroy recently departed for a six-month deployment aboard the aircraft carrier USS America, homeported in Norfolk, Va.
The USS America will lead an eight-ship battle group while conducting routine operations in the MediterraneanSea.
Tutor is the son of Nancy M. Tutor of Westminster. The 1988 North Carroll High grad joined the Navy in July 1990.
McElroy is the son of Helen M. and James C. McElroy Sr. of Sykesville. He graduated from Liberty High School in 1985 and joined the Navy in December 1987.
* Marine Lance Cpl. Christopher P. Bosley, son of Alan L. andDarlene Bosley of Westminster, recently received the Good Conduct Medal.
The medal recognizes the service member's honest and faithfulservice during a three-year period. To earn it, Bosley achieved and maintained a satisfactory level of performance and an unblemished conduct record for the entire period.
He is currently assigned with Headquarters Battalion, Camp Fuji, Japan.
The 1987 graduate of Westminster High School joined the Marine Corps in October 1988.
* Marine Lance Cpl. Michael A. VanVleck, son of Richard VanVleck of Taneytown, recently received a Meritorious Mast.
He was cited for outstanding service while assigned with Headquarters Battalion Henderson Hall, Arlington, Va.
A Meritorious Mast is an official recognition from a Marine's commanding officer for superior individual performance. It is issued in the form of a bulletin published throughout the command, and a copy is entered in the Marine's permanent service records.
A 1989 graduate of Bradley-Bourbonnais Community High School, Bradley, Ill., he joined the Marine Corps in May 1990.
* Navy Fireman Recruit Brian J. Gange recently graduated from Basic Hull Maintenance Technician School.
During the course at Naval Damage Control Training Center, Naval Base, Philadelphia, students receive instructionin the basics of welding, pipefitting and metalsmithing. Studies also include fabrication procedures, installation and repair of all types of shipboard structures, and plumbing and piping systems.
The son of Donna J. Gange of Finksburg, he joined the Navy in July 1991.