Yesterday's card at Laurel postponed by cold weather

January 17, 1992|By Marty McGee

LAUREL -- Yesterday's scheduled nine-race card at Laurel Race Course was canceled because of high winds and sub-zero wind-chill temperatures.

After a meeting among jockeys and track officials, the decision to call off the program was made at about 10:40 a.m.

"It was a safety-first type of thing," said Laurel vice president Jim Mango. "We had reports from our weather service in New Jersey that gusting, 50 mph winds were going to continue through the afternoon. We met with some of the jockeys and asked them to determine as soon as possible whether they were going to be able to ride. They came back and said it would be best if they didn't."

Mango said three of the nine races will be made up this weekend. Eleven races, plus one simulcast race from Gulfstream Park, will be run tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. Although Monday is usually a dark day, the track will be open because of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

The $40,000 Northern Wolf Handicap highlights tomorrow's card. On Monday, the $50,000 Native Dancer Handicap is the live feature.

Racing is scheduled to resume this afternoon at 12:30.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.