IN HIS NEW biography of Woodrow Wilson, Princeton scholarAugust Heckscher describes the new Johns Hopkins University, in 1873 only seven years old, when it was attended by the future president. He writes:
"Old-line Baltimoreans were disappointed by this new college, housed in a miscellaneous group of buildings, neither employing local talent nor bringing to the city the kind of students and young professors that would add light to the social scene.
"But in the end Baltimore gained distinction from a faculty and student body, odd and often unsociable, that knew their lTC scholarly mission and concentrated exclusively on that."
Wilson roomed on Charles Street, then on McCullough Street. He was put off at first by his Hopkins professors, but after they acquiesced to his request for wider latitude in his choice of studies he settled in to co-author his first published work. After that it was up, up, up, first in academia, then in politics.
Wilson's fate in history was settled in Baltimore 39 years later, in 1912, when a tumultuous Democratic convention at the Fifth Regiment Armory chose him after 46 roll calls as its nominee for president.
* * * THE SPIRES that once graced Baltimore's Camden Station are about to be returned now that the new baseball stadium will be next door.
Those without patience to wait until the restoration is complete can take a sneak peek at Turkey Hill, the historic Linthicum family mansion in Anne Arundel County. A restored six-foot bird house depicting the Camden Station and weighing 220 pounds was hoisted atop a 12-foot telephone pole in the front yard of the landmark recently.
No one knows for sure who originally crafted the birdhouse, which has 64 little windows, elaborate cornices and other minute details. But it is believed to have been built in the early 19th century. Like Turkey Hall and its outbuildings, the bird house has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.
* * * A FREDERICK landmark, the Tivoli Theater, celebrated its 65th birthday in style Dec. 23. Now the Weinberg Center for the Arts, it showed the same movie that opened the theater in 1926.
Among those watching Harry Langdon in "The Strong Man" was George Schroeder Jr., who was a 16-year-old lad when he saw it the first time at Tivoli's opening.
One of the old theater's treasures is its original Wurlitzer pipe organ, which Floyd Werle played during the celebration. It is an instrument that has attracted visitors from such faraway places as California and England. But, then, Tivoli's organ is famous: the convention of the American Theater Organ Society was held in Frederick in 1972.