R. E. Coleman Sr., owner of tavern in Dundalk, dies
Services for Russel E. Coleman Sr., a Dundalk tavern owner and retired state employee, will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at St. Timothy's Lutheran Church, 2120 Dundalk Ave.
Mr. Coleman, who was 63 and lived on Dunbrin Road, died Thursday at Franklin Square Hospital of complications to liver disease.
He had been a partner since 1959 in the Colony Grill, which was started by his father.
In 1989, he retired as a maintenance supervisor for the state's Division of Employment and Training after holding similar posts with state agencies since 1973. Earlier, he was an ironworker and had worked at the Bethlehem Steel Corp. shipyard at Sparrows Point.
A Dundalk native and graduate of Sparrows Point High School, )) he was a former chairman of the reunion committee for the school's Class of 1945.
He was a former president of the Broad Creek Civic Association in the Harford County community, where he had a summer home, and was fond of boating on the Susquehanna River.
He enlisted in the Army Air Forces in 1946 and served in the newly organized Air Force until 1949.
His first wife, the former Margaret E. Long, died in 1972.
He is survived by his wife, the former Nancy R. Neikirk; two sons, Russel E. Coleman Jr. of Fort Knox, Ky., and Sean L. Coleman of Catonsville; a daughter, Regan A. Plumb of Dundalk; two brothers, Richard L. Coleman of Takoma Park and Michael M. Coleman of Atlanta; a sister, Bonnie Jo Wortman of Dundalk; and six grandchildren.
E. Lucile Burns
A memorial service for E. Lucile Burns, who was a member and supporter of groups encouraging peace, social justice and protection of the environment, will be held at 11 a.m. today in the chapel of Goucher College.
Mrs. Burns, who was 94, died Dec. 15 after a stroke at her home on Kelly Avenue.
A former local president of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, she was a member or supporter of other organizations, among them: Fellowship of Reconciliation, Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Union of Concerned Scientists, Council for a Livable World, Greenpeace, Natural Resources Defense Council, Common Cause, American Civil Liberties Union, Southern Poverty Law Center, Environmental Defense Fund, Zero Population Growth and World Wildlife Fund.
The former Emily Lucile Moore was a native of Baltimore and a 1914 graduate of Western High School. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa before her 1918 graduation from Goucher, she earned graduate degrees in zoology, including a doctorate in 1922 at Yale University, where she became a member of Sigma Xi, the scientific research society.
A family historian who did genealogical studies, her home
became a meeting place for family members.
She is survived by three sons, Robert K. Burns of Fruitport, Mich., John M. Burns of Annandale, Va., and William M. Burns of Baltimore; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
A memorial service for Elizabeth Dorsey Peddicord, a retired receptionist who also taught arts and crafts and was a consultant on antiques, will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Rogers Avenue and Old Frederick Road, Ellicott City.
Miss Peddicord, who was 71 and lived in the Charlestown Retirement Community, died Dec. 21 at St. Agnes Hospital after a stroke.
She retired about 10 years ago after working in the office of Dr. W. E. McGrath and giving crafts courses in the Catonsville area.
A member of the Catonsville Historical Society and the Friends of the Catonsville Library, she was also a volunteer in the library's Catonsville Room.
She was a member of the Paradise Patchers quilting group and the Arbutus Homemakers Club.
At Charlestown, she was a volunteer in its gift shop and taught in an adult reading program.
Born in Catonsville, she was a graduate of the Mount de Sales Academy and studied at the Maryland Institute.
She is survived by several cousins. Friends suggested memorial contributions could be made to the St. Peter's Episcopal Church memorial fund.
Delia Frances Lang
A memorial service for Delia Frances Lang, a retired hospital dietitian, will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Barranco & Sons Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road.
Mrs. Lang, who was 62 and lived in Magothy Beach Park, Pasadena, died of complications to cancer Monday at Harbor Hospital Center.
She retired in 1985 after 16 years at University Hospital.
She had also worked briefly at Harbor Hospital Center, Prince George's General Hospital and Mount Wilson Hospital.
From 1952 until 1955, she worked at Sinai Hospital, and from 1960 until 1966, she worked at what is now Anne Arundel Medical Center.
A native of Greenwood, Ala., who was reared there and in Fairfield, Ala., the former Delia Frances Williamson was a 1952 graduate of theniversity of Alabama.