Outstanding Scholar Award is for outstanding students in the honors program at the University of Baltimore. One is awarded each year. The average award is $500, and the deadline is April 1. Applicants must be residents of Maryland with a 3.5 average and must present evidence of superior achievement or creativity in major. Call: (410) 625-3363.
Wilson Scholarships will pay up to $800 per semester for two years at the University of Baltimore. You can apply through nomination by your community college, through application directed to UofB, and through the Maryland State Scholarship Distinguished Scholar Program. Call (410) 625-3363.
Handicapped Student Academic Scholarship is offered by UofB to new or continuing students. Full tuition for two years for full-time student and four years for part-time student. Must submit verification of eligibility. Essay required. Call (410) 625- 3363.
Associated Italian-American Charities Scholarship provides young men and women of Italian heritage with educational opportunities that will prepare them for leadership roles. Essay required. Award: $1,000. Contact: UofB at (410) 625-3363.
Maryland Law Enforcement Scholarship is an award made to a qualified student in the criminal justice program at UofB. Selection is made by the chairperson of the criminal justice department. Award: $1,200. Call (410) 625-3363.
Eastern Shore Scholarship is for Eastern Shore residents enrolling in undergraduate, graduate or law programs at the University of Baltimore. The number and amount of awards vary. The deadline is June 1. Call (410) 625-3363.
Honors Scholarships are for students enrolled in or accepted for the honors program at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Applicants must have SAT score of at least 1,000 and at least a 3.0 average. Contact: Brenda Anderson, Honors Department, UMES.
Frostburg State University sponsors:
* The American Legion Post 24 Patriotism Scholarship. One scholarship awarded each year. Average award $500. Applicants must be residents of Garrett or Allegany counties and must be sons or daughters of members of the American Legion.
* Meritorious Achievement Award for full four-year tuition as well as one- year scholarships. For the four-year award, SAT score of at least 1,200 and GPA of at least 3.5 is required. For the one-year award, SAT score of at least 900 and GPA of at least 3.5 is required. Number of awards ranges from 60 to 75.
* Elisabeth Hitchins Scholarship. Six awarded each year. Average award $600. Deadline March 1. Primary consideration will be given to applicants who are residents of Maryland. Applicants must be juniors or seniors with 3.25 grade aver age and must demonstrate financial need and show civic involvement.
* Wensel-Faherty Scholarships. Two scholarships awarded each year. Average award $1,000. Deadline March 1. Applicants must be high school seniors from Garrett or Allegany counties. Selection based primarily on merit, but financial need is considered.
* The C&P Telephone Scholarships. Two scholarships awarded each year. Average award $800. Deadline March 1. Applicants must be residents of Western Maryland.
PD Contact: Katherine Kutler, Financial Aid Office, (301) 689-4301.
Morgan State University
Morgan State University, Financial Aid Office, Hillen Road and Cold Spring Lane, Office of the director of the University Honors Program, (410) 319-3429, administers about 100 merit scholarships. Amount of awards for Maryland students ranges from $2,300 to $6,700 per year. Priority date is April 1. All students must complete an institutional application as well as a Financial Aid Form, and verify income if necessary.
Mount St. Mary's College
Mount St. Mary's College, Financial Aid Office, Emmitsburg, Md. 21727, (301) 447-5207, sponsors:
* Marion Burke Knott Scholarships. Number of awards varies. Full tuition. Deadline Jan. 1. Applicants must be Catholic students from the archdiocese of Baltimore. Awarded on the basis of academic achievement and contributions to school, church and community.
* Kuderer-Trustee Scholarships. Two $10,000 and two $6,000 scholarships awarded on the basis of competitive examinations and SAT scores of 1,100 or higher.
* Transfer Student Scholarships. Amount of award up to $2,000 per year. Based on academic achievement and financial need.
* Commuter Grants. Number of awards varies. Average award of $4,000. Awarded to full-time commuting students who demonstrate need.
* J. Harry Grove Scholarships. Two scholarships awarded each year. Amount varies. Awarded on basis of character, need and academic achievement. Preference given to Frederick County residents.
* Chesapeake & Potomac Scholarships. Number and amount of awards vary. Awarded to Maryland residents on basis of achievement and need.
* The Funston V. Collins scholarships and grants in aid for black students range from $1,000 to $5,000.
* Pathways Scholarships are $5,000 scholarships awarded to black students who are active community members. Essay required.