Annapolis firefighters attack Union blasts sex probe, wants chief to resign.

January 03, 1992|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Evening Sun Staff

The Annapolis firefighters union has called for the fire chief and deputy fire chief to resign because of their handling of an investigation of firefighters accused of having sex on duty.

The allegations involved five firefighters and two city police officers who were accused of having sex while on duty four or five years ago.

In a statement released this morning during a news conference

on the steps of City Hall, the union said it asked Mayor Alfred A. Hopkins to seek the resignations of Fire Chief Edward P. Sherlock and Deputy Chief Charles Smith.

Hopkins and Sherlock could not be reached for comment.

William Thompson, the lawyer for Local 1926, which represents 89 city firefighters, said the mayor refused the request but ordered sensitivity training for managers.

"There are no facts to support the wild-eyed allegations of rampant and pervasive sexual misconduct in the Fire Department," the union's statement says. "Finally, the citizens of this city saw what months of investigation by the chief and the deputy chief had produced: a complete embarrassment."

Hopkins had issued a statement Tuesday admitting the 11-week probe into sexual misconduct was "tainted" and reinstated Lt. Kenneth Rowe, a 24-year veteran who had been fired after being implicated in the scandal.

He was the second firefighter to be given his job back. Last month, Firefighter Robert "Tommy" Thomas was reinstated during his appeals hearing when Sherlock learned that an investigator once had sex while off-duty with a woman involved in the case.

Three other firefighters also have been disciplined. Two have filed appeals and one has accepted punishment.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.