William M. Allen, South Baltimore's 'mayor,' dies at 99
William Murray Allen, known to his friends as "Junior" and as unofficial mayor of South Baltimore, died of pneumonia yesterday at Howard County General Hospital. He was 99.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered for Mr. Allen at 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary, Star of the Sea, 1419 Riverside Ave.
lifelong resident of the city's south side, Mr. Allen lived nearly his entire life in the same row house on Riverside Avenue. He left only once, as a teen-ager, when his family moved briefly to Havre de Grace.
His father, William Allen, had been a Baltimore councilman, state legislator and U.S. marshal. He and Mr. Allen's mother, Francis Harriet Murray Allen, also had owned the South Baltimore Construction Co.
The younger William Allen, who had a sixth-grade educationworked most of his life for the city of Baltimore, keeping the boilers going that fueled pile drivers on the waterfront. He later worked briefly for the state Bureau of Highways before finally retiring at age 70.
In the 1930s, Mr. Allen also ran the Riverside Pleasure Club, a local tavern.
He loved dogs, cameras and going to the horse races. He was also an avid gardener and liked to travel.
He built a vacation home on the Patapsco River in Anne Arundel County and often went fishing and crabbing. Fond of anything nautical or of the maritime industry, Mr. Allen built his own boats and also carved model boats out of wood.
Whenever he had free time, Mr. Allen would take walks around his city neighborhood. He came to know many people from his strolls -- he liked to tell jokes to acquaintances -- leading friends to think of him as the mayor of South Baltimore.
He also played the mandolin, though his favorite music was honky-tonk piano, show tunes and Irish melodies.
Mr. Allen loved reading and studying American history. He was ** active in his church, St. Mary, Star of Sea, located in South Baltimore.
A son, Charles Kenneth Allen, served in the Marine Corps and was killed during fighting on Okinawa in World War II.
His wife of 49 years, the former Leah Virginia Smith, died in 1967.
He is survived by three daughters, Dorothy A. Horton of Finksburg, and Harriet A. Lanier and Catherine A. Cinquegrana, both of Ellicott City; seven grandchildren; six great-grandsons; a great-granddaughter; and two great-great-grandchildren.
Services for Donald E. "Skip" Campbell, a data processing manager at Catonsville Community College for 25 years, will be held at noon today at the Douglas Memorial Community Church, Lafayette and Madison avenues.
Mr. Campbell, who was 59 and a resident of Woodlawn, died Friday of complications to pneumonia at Baltimore County General Hospital.
A Baltimore native, he attended public schools and graduated from Frederick Douglass High School in 1951.
From 1953 until 1955, he served in the Army.
He received a certificate in general business from the Cortez Peters Business School in 1957 and earned an associate of arts degree in data processing from Catonsville Community College in 1972.
Mr. Campbell founded the Sportsmen's Basketball League in 1976 and was its commissioner until 1985. He also founded the Sportsmen's Softball League in 1976, serving as a coach and commissioner.
Mr. Campbell is survived by his wife of 25 years, Doris Tyson of Woodlawn, a teacher with the Baltimore public schools; a daughter, Deborah McPherson of Woodlawn; a son, Donald Campbell Jr. of Randallstown; six sisters; and four grandchildren.
The family suggests contributions to the American Heart Association.
Harriet E. Morrison
Active in community
Services for Harriet Evelyn Morrison, a longtime resident of Towson who was active in community groups, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Lemmon-Mitchell-Wiedefeld Funeral Home, 10 W. Padonia Road, Timonium.
Mrs. Morrison, who was 86, died Sunday at her Towson home of complications to cancer and the flu.
The former Harriet Raymond was born and reared in Brooklyn, N.Y., and attended private schools there. She graduated from high school in 1923 and worked as a secretary for a few years.
In 1935, she married James Benjamin Morrison, who owned Hopkins Stevedoring. He died in 1982.
The Morrisons came to Maryland in 1956 and settled in downtown Baltimore. Mrs. Morrison kept busy as a member of various garden clubs and community organizations. She also co-founded the Maryland chapter of the Women's Maritime Association.
She is survived by a granddaughter, Lynn Parks of Towson; and two great-granddaughters, Nicole Parks of Towson and Jessica Morrison of Jarrettsville.
Robert E. Vogle
Antique furniture expert
Robert E. Vogle, an expert on antique furniture, died of cancer Sunday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 71.
Mr. Vogle had owned Wood Butcher Limited, a Baltimore County furniture restoration and antique store, for 20 years. Because of his expertise, various museums, the White House and the State Department sought his advice on antique furniture.