Talbert B. Dett, horse rider and trainer, dies at 76
Services for Talbert B. "Jock" Dett, a talented horse rider and trainer, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Eckhardt Funeral Chapel, 11605 Reisterstown Road in Owings Mills.
Mr. Dett, who lived on Bond Avenue in Reisterstown, died of cancer at home Monday. He was 76.
Former U.S. Sen. Daniel Brewster, who has ridden with Mr. Dett and has known him for more than 40 years, said in a 1979 Sun Magazine article, "Jock Dett is welcome anywhere in the [Green Spring] valley. . . . Jock's a good horseman."
Born in the village of Boring, west of Reisterstown, Mr. Dett received his education there, then went to work on neighboring farms at an early age, and learned to ride and jump horses. By the time he was 14, he was riding on fox hunts with the Greenspring Hounds. He also rode with the Mount Carmel Hounds, a north Baltimore County hunting group, and the Carrollton Hounds until his illness.
He trained and tended horses on the farms surrounding his home for owners such as H. L. Strauss, inventor of the totalizator, a machine used in betting horse races. He worked in the stables at Sagamore Farm, an estate owned by the Vanderbilts, and on the Gillet family farm where he tended brood mares.
In 1941, during World War II, he joined the U.S. Army, where he was assigned to the cavalry. Three years later, he married the former Mildred Clark of Owings Mills.
Upon his discharge in 1946, he returned to the valley to train and tend horses, but became a self-employed blacksmith a few years later. He retired in the late 1980s.
Before his illness, Mr. Dett attended horse shows and always watched the annual Maryland Hunt Club Race. He liked to roller skate and ice skate, and enjoyed playing table tennis.
Mr. Dett is survived by his wife, the former Mildred Clark, of Reisterstown; two brothers, Irving Dett of Baltimore and Andrew Dett of Reisterstown; and a sister, Annie Milligan of Reisterstown.
Florence F. Nuttle
Services for Florence F. Nuttle, a former elementary school teacher, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Denton Cemetery in Denton.
Mrs. Nuttle, who lived in Denton, died Monday of a heart ailment at her daughter's home in Crisfield. She was 95.
The former Florence Funk was born in McConnellsburg, Pa., but moved to the Eastern Shore of Maryland when her parents purchased property in Somerset County. The family later relocated to Denton, where Mrs. Nuttle graduated from Caroline High School in 1915.
She received a bachelor's degree from the Maryland State Teacher's College, now Towson State University, in 1918. She also attended the Johns Hopkins University for a few years.
In 1922, she married Harold Creston Nuttle, an attorney associated with the Fidelity and Deposit Co. with whom she moved to the Rognel Heights area of Baltimore. She taught at the Edgewood Arsenal elementary school in Harford County, and in schools in Baltimore and Federalsburg. Mrs. Nuttle returned to Denton when her husband died in 1964.
Mrs. Nuttle was a member of the Rognel Heights Methodist Church in Baltimore and a charter member of the Women in Christian Service group there. She was also a member of the St. Luke's United Methodist Church in Denton.
She held memberships to the Maryland Historical Society, the Caroline County Historical Society, the Caroline County Garden Club, the Woman's Club of Denton, the Nanticoke chapter of the Daughters of America of Princess Anne County, the Caroline County chapter of the Women's Eastern Shore Society of America. She served on the woman's Board of Eudowood and the Woman's Board of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Children's Center.
She is survived by a daughter, Nancy N. Tawes of Crisfield; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to St. Luke's United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 66, Denton 21629; the Denton Maryland Ambulance Company, c/o Joseph
Steelman, 213 Fifth Ave., Denton 21629; or the Immanuel United Methodist Church, c/o of Robert H. Bradshaw Jr., 306 W. Main St., Crisfield 21817.
Wrote musical programs
Mildred Kern, a devout member of the Jewish faith who used her musical talent in volunteer work with several community organizations and her temple, died of a stroke Sunday at Sinai Hospital. She was 96.
The former Mildred Ehrmann, born in Vicksburg, Miss., was educated in private schools in the area and attended Central High School in Memphis, Tenn., in 1912.
In 1917, she married Max Ullman and moved to Natchez, Miss. While in Mississippi, she was a member of the Mississippi Federation of Temple Sisterhood and was a board member of the national federation. Mr. Ullmann died in 1945.
Mrs. Kern married Dr. Howard M. Kern in 1950 and moved to Baltimore, where he was chief surgeon at Sinai Hospital until his death in 1972.
In 1951, Mrs. Kern enrolled in the Peabody Conservatory, where she studied composition.