Bertie M. Bell
Services for Bertie M. Bell, a retired practical nurse and longtime West Baltimore resident, will be held at 11:30 a.m. Friday at the Gospel Tabernacle Baptist Church, 3100 Walbrook Ave.
Mrs. Bell, who was 86, suffered heart failure and died Saturday at Maryland General Hospital.
She was certified as a practical nurse during the early 1950s. She worked nearly 25 years at the Long Green Nursing Center on Melrose Avenue until her retirement in the late 1970s.
The former Bertie M. Blount was born in Grifton, N.C., and came to Baltimore in the early 1920s to find work. A short time later, she met Phillip W. Frazier, a railroad worker; they married and settled in West Baltimore. Mr. Frazier died in 1939. Nearly 10 years later, the widow married Charles Bell, a stevedore, who died in the late 1960s.
Mrs. Bell's survivors include a son, Charles G. Frazier of Baltimore; two daughters, Hortense F. Press and Audrey H. Harper, both of Baltimore; a sister, Gladys Rountree of New Bern, N.C.; a brother, the Rev. James Blount of Los Angeles; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Bakery sales manager
George Dency, former district sales manager for Rice's Bakery in Baltimore, died after a heart attack Christmas Day at St. Agnes Hospital. He was 85.
Born in Baltimore to Hungarian immigrants, Mr. Dency returned to his parents' homeland at age 4. When he got older, he worked at manual labor jobs until he attended agricultural school and decided to come back to America in 1925. Because of his lack of formal training in English, Mr. Dency had difficulty convincing employers he was a citizen, and he worked at various manual labor jobs for the next few years.
On Christmas Eve in 1933, he married the former Hilda Birx and a year later became district sales manager for Rice's Bakery, formerly on Gay Street. He retired from that job in 1971.
A longtime resident of Ellicott City, Mr. Dency then worked as a bailiff in the Howard County Courthouse for 10 years.
He was also a semi-professional magician and, at the courthouse, often entertained juries with his sleight-of-hand and other magic tricks.
He was territorial vice president of the national organization of the International Brotherhood of Magicians for 20 years, a past president of the Assembly No. 6 of the Society of American Magicians and a past president of the Magicians Alliance of the Eastern States. He founded the Internal Brotherhood of Magicians Ring No. 179 in 1965 and held the office of president twice. A few years before his death, the other members voted to give the ring his name, calling themselves the George Dency Ring of the brotherhood.
Mr. Dency was secretary-treasurer of the Kellar-Thurston Assembly No. 6 of the society and held this office until his death.
Services for Mr. Dency were held Saturday at St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church in Ellicott City.
He is survived by his wife, Hilda L. Dency of Ellicott City; two sons, George G. Dency of Boston and Michael B. Dency of Ellicott City; a daughter, Mary Louise Davis of Annapolis; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.
Louis Calvin Laird
Retired civil engineer
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday for Louis Calvin Laird, a retired civil engineer, at the Reformation Lutheran Church, 6200 Loch Raven Blvd.
Mr. Laird, 66, died of cancer last Saturday at Stella Maris Hospice.
A Baltimore native, Mr. Laird graduated from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1943. He received a bachelor's degree in 1947 and a master's degree in 1948, both in engineering, from the Johns Hopkins University.
Mr. Laird worked for Baker, Wibberley, and Associates as a civil engineer in the early 1950s. He also worked for the Maryland State Roads Commission before retiring in 1967.
He was a member of the Mount Moriah Lodge No. 116 in Towson and volunteered with the Veterans Hospital on Loch Raven Boulevard and the Lutheran Social Services.
Mr. Laird is survived by three sons, Louis C. Laird Jr., Timothy Laird and Charles Laird; and a daughter, Pamela Phillip, all of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.
Donations may be sent to Stella Maris Hospice Home Care Program, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson 21204 or to the Reformation Lutheran Church, 6200 Loch Raven Blvd., Baltimore 21239.