The New Year is in the air -- and on the air, too. Here are some of the most interesting broadcast bashes:
* First up tonight comes the "1992 King Orange Jamboree Parade," at 8 o'clock on Channel 2, with Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson as hosts and Joe DiMaggio riding the "Yankee Clipper" float in celebration of the 50th anniversary of his 56-game hitting streak.
* Ushering in the New Year on the networks, the traditional dTC descent of the big ball at Times Square can be viewed all over, with most shows beginning at 11:30 p.m.
The reigning dean of the scene hosts "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve '92" on ABC (Channel 13), comedian Paul Reiser hosts a "Hard Rock Cafe New Year's Eve Special" on CBS (Channel 11), Jay Leno is in the hosting chair and Kadeem Hardison ("A Different World") is at Times Square on "The Tonight Show" vigil on NBC (Channel 2), and comedy magicians Penn and Teller host a "Fox New Year's Eve Live" celebration (Channel 45).
* Maryland Public Television, which some years back televised its own Baltimore-based live New Year's party, is instead devoting most of the evening to "Carnegie Hall: Live at 100!" which was taped back in May.
* On the radio, host John Tegler offers his annual nostalgia celebration with "Jazz Straight Ahead's New Year's Eve Dance and Jazz Party" at 9 p.m. on WEAA-FM 88.9. It's a five-hour run of recordings of Dec. 31 big band radio broadcasts over the years. And on WJHU-FM 88.1, National Public Radio's "New Year's Eve Coast to Coast" jazz party begins at 10 p.m. with Wynton Marsalis at New York's Astoria Hotel.
* Cable's MTV video network begins its annual "Top 100 of '91 Countdown" at 5 p.m. and continues right up to the network's annual rock party.
* Sister cable service VH-1 is putting host Jon Brandeis into a limo for its "New Year's Eve Traffic Jam," planning to shuttle him and guests to parties all around New York City.
* The Nick at Nite nostalgia network has its annual "Rerun Countdown," with deejay Casey Kasem hosting favorite episodes of series past. And for a real time warp, at 12:30 a.m. Nick is screening the New Year's Eve episode (from 1976) of "The Donny and Marie Show."
* In varied vein, the TNT basic service is launching at 8 p.m. a "Monstervision New Year's Marathon" with the 1972 horror film "Superbeast." Other films include "The Revenge of Frankenstein," Frankenstein Created Woman," "IT!" and "Doctor Blood's Coffin."
* And to laugh the old year away, Comedy Central (not seen on all local cable systems) begins at 9:30 p.m. a 24-hour marathon of stand-up comedy performances, titled "I've Fallen and I Need Stand-up." And the Arts & Entertainment service is doing the same, with a four-hour block of comedy club shows, the "New Year's Eve Comedy Countdown," beginning at 8 p.m.