* Marine Lance Cpl. Roy R. Champion, son of Roy R. and Glyda E. Champion of Mount Airy, was recently promoted to his current rank and reported for duty with the Third Support Battalion, Third Force Service Support Group, in Okinawa, Japan.
Champion, a 1986 graduate of Linganore High School, joined the Marine Corps in April 1991.
* Cynthia D. Swanson and Michael F. Fuggitti have joined the U.S.Army under the Delayed Entry Program.
She is a 1991 graduate of Westminster High School and has attended classes at Carroll Community College. He is a 1990 graduate of Westminster High School and will soon complete his freshman year at St. Mary's College.
Both will report -- Swanson on Aug. 25 and Fuggitti on Feb. 6 -- to basic trainingat Fort Jackson, S.C. Upon graduation from basic, they will attend Advanced Individual Training at Fort Gordon, Ga. She will become a qualified Record Telecommunications Center Operator and he will become aqualified single-channel radio operator.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rdClass Marc A. Howarth, son of Tony P. and Diana L. Dull of Taneytown, returned from a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific, IndianOcean and Arabian Gulf.
He serves aboard the guided missile cruiser USS Long Beach, homeported in San Diego. His ship was part of Battle Group Foxtrot, an eight-ship task group centered around the Navy'snewest nuclear powered aircraft carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln.
Howarth participated in Operation Fiery Vigil which evacuated more than 17,000 Americans from the Philippines after the eruption of Mount Pinatubo. The battle group also spent more than three months on station in the Arabian Gulf, joining the multi- national peace keeping forcesof Operation Desert Storm.
Battle Group Foxtrot operated with forces from France, Great Britain, Japan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and several other Gulf states to support United Nations resolutions in the region.
The group also worked with the navies of Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Additionally, while off the coast of Japan, the battle group participated in exercises with the Japanese Self Defense Force to enhance the combined forces' defense of Japan.
Howarth is a 1988 graduate of Francis Scott Key High who joined the Navy in November 1988.
* Marine Cpl. Charles L. Bupp, son of Walter W. Bupp of Westminster, was recently promoted to his present rank while serving withMarine Wing Support Squadron 371, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Az.
The 1988 graduate of Westminster High School joined the Marine Corps in August 1988.
* Marine Pfc. Jackie E. Robertson, son of Vernon E. and Joan A. Robertson of Taneytown, recently reported for duty with Headquarters and Support Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Camp LeJeune, N.C.
A 1991 graduate of Francis Scott Key High School, he joined the Marine Corps in June 1991.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Joseph L. Kahney and Navy Airman Apprentice Aaron S. Bennett recently departed for a six-month deployment aboard the aircraft carrier USS America, homeported in Norfolk, Va.
TheUSS America will lead an eight ship battle group while conducting routine operations in the Mediterranean Sea.
Kahney is the son of Joseph E. and Joan H. Kahney of Manchester. A 1986 graduate of North Carroll High School, he joined the Navy in March 1988.
Bennett is the son of Steven J. and Dorothea L. Bennett of Mount Airy. The 1988 graduate of Linganore High School, Frederick County, joined the Navy inAugust 1990.
* Navy Seaman Recruit Brian K. Puckett recently completed basic training at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Ill.
He is a 1991 graduate of Francis Scott Key High School.
* MarinePvt. Phillip E. Bell, son of Gloria J. Bell of Sykesville, completedrecruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C.
Recruits are taught the basics of battlefield survival, introducedto typical military daily routine, and personal and professional standards.
They participate in an active physical conditioning program and gain proficiency in a variety of military skills, including first aid, rifle marksmanship and close order drill. Teamwork and self-discipline are emphasized throughout the cycle.
He is a 1988 graduate of Liberty High School.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Eric R. Bowen, son of Robert M. and Linda L. Bowen of Sykesville, recently completed the Navy Security Guard Course.
During the course at the Naval Technical Training Center Detachment, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, students study the laws, regulations and procedures governing law enforcement programs.
Students also are trained in apprehension, search and seizure, riot control, drug abuse detection, small arms,waterfront defense and anti-terrorist tactics.
The 1990 graduate of Liberty High School joined the Navy in November 1990.