Seahawks Have Easy Sailing, 72-39

Victory Over Saints Brings Tourneytitle

December 29, 1991|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff writer

It was midway through the third period when South River's Albert Leeheard the cry from the stands in the St. Mary's High gymnasium.

"Slam dunk!" screamed a Seahawks' fan after watching Lee make one of his four steals in the game near midcourt in Friday's St. Mary's boys basketball tournament final against the host Saints (3-7).

Just two defenders stood between Lee and the basket, so the 6-foot-2 senior guard couldn't resist. He dribbled four times and smashed home two of his team-high 21 points in the Seahawks' 72-39 victory.

"I just wanted to flush it. It was just one of those things," said Lee, who helped the Seahawks (6-1) win their sixth straight game, tying a school record for consecutive victories.

Lee scored 12 of hissquad's 20 first-quarter points, including two three-pointers, as the Seahawks built a 20-10 first-quarter lead.

He was was 4-for-4 atthe line in the first period and scored seven of his team's first 11points in the second quarter, pacing the Seahawks to a 49-21 halftime lead.

When 15-year coach Ken Dunn gave Lee a break four minutes before intermission, he had more points (19) than the entire Saints squad, which trailed, 35-14.

"It felt real good to me," said Lee, who spearheaded the Seahawks' 20-steal effort.

But with 10 different Seahawks scoring, the game wasn't just a rendition of the Al Lee show.

Freshmen Corey Davis (eight points, six assists) also nailed two three-pointers. Another freshman, 6-1 Russell Tongue (five steals)looked like a wide receiver, scoring six of his 10 points off over-the-shoulder fast-break passes in the final quarter.

Davis, Tongue,6-2 reserve guard Jon Boltser (nine points) and 6-4 senior Edmund Hicks (eight) took over in the second period, as the Seahawks used a full-court press and several fast breaks to leave the Saints scattered in their wake.

After the third period, the Seahawks led, 59-30. And it was in that stanza that 6-5 senior Darren Hall made the most of his five points, giving the Seahawks their three biggest leads of thenight. His free-throw with 1 minute, 55 seconds remaining in the period put the Seahawks up by 59-23.

"We got away from team play lastnight against Archbishop Spalding, but we talked about that," said Dunn of his Seahawks' lackluster 59-49 semifinal victory.

"As you can see by tonight, the kids responded a lot better. And we didn't start three players."

South River is four wins shy of last year's 10-11 season when the Seahawks lost to Thomas Stone in the Class 3A Region III playoffs.

The Saints, led by 6-4 Rory Kiernan (11 points, eight rebounds) and Charlie McCloud (nine, seven), held a 34-28 rebounding edge, despite the Seahawks having four players 6-4 or taller.

St. Mary's coach Jim Sheehan still hopes to improve on last year's 5-20 Maryland Scholastic Association B Conference finish. After all, his Saints overcame a 13-point deficit to upend its Severn semifinal opponent, 61-51.

Severn (6-4) rebounded with a 43-36 victory over Spalding (1-7) for third place. The Admirals got a team-high 17 pointsfrom freshman John Vereen, and Andrew Webb contributed 16 points and11 rebounds.

"We're missing three of our starters, so this is a big win for us," said Severn coach Jim Doyle.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.