Around the house
* Buy grocery items in bulk to economize while protecting the environment. Large sizes mean less packaging, waste and cost.
* Block cold air from window sills with strips cut from clean plastic foam meat trays. Line plastic pieces along crack between the bottom of window and the sill.
* Remove odor of smoke from rooms. Place bowls of vinegar throughout house to absorb smells. A dab of perfume on light bulbs can add a pleasant scent.
* Send "Happy New Year" cards to people you missed seeing during the holidays; names that were missed from your Christmas card list can also be included.
* If an electric clock has stopped, turn upside down and allow to sit on its head for a few days. This will redistribute the oil inside the mechanism and lubricate the parts.
* Freshen stale bread. Sprinkle with a few drops of water and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
In the garden
* Rotate houseplants regularly. If plants are turned one-quarter each time they are watered, they will grow straight. Otherwise they will bend toward the light.