Teen, woman slain in city

December 27, 1991|By Richard Irwin and Joe Nawrozki | Richard Irwin and Joe Nawrozki,Evening Sun Staff

A 15-year-old boy was fatally shot last night and another boy, also 15, and a man were wounded when gunfire erupted in a hallway in an East Baltimore public housing project, police said.

Also last night, a 22-year-old woman was fatally stabbed in southwest Baltimore, police said.

The deaths raised the number of homicides in Baltimore to 300 with four days left in 1991, police said. Last year, there were 305 homicides in the city.

On the east side, police responding to a report of a shooting around 9:30 p.m. found the boys bleeding from gunshot wounds in a first-floor hallway at the Lafayette Courts Apartments in the 100 block of Colvin St.

Police found the man on the fourth floor of the high-rise building.

Bullet fragments and shell casings indicated that two handguns were used in the shootings and that the victims had been shot in the first-floor hallway by unknown assailants, police said.

"We still are sorting things out as to why this happened," said Homicide Detective Bertina Silver. She said no guns or narcotics were recovered at the shooting scene.

Lamont Wilkens, who lived on the sixth floor of the building, died of a gunshot wound of the chest at 11 p.m. at Johns Hopkins Hospital, police said.

Tony Johnson, also a resident of the building, was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was being treated for a gunshot wound of the left thigh, police said.

His mother, Betty Walker, said today that Johnson neither attended school nor worked.

Kenneth Brown, 25, of the 1400 block of N. Milton Ave., was being treated at Hopkins for bullet wounds of the left arm and hand, police said.

Fay Brown-McCoy, Brown's mother, said today she talked with her son after he was wounded.

"He was walking up into the projects to visit a friend when somebody came up and started shooting," Brown-McCoy said. "He just went out and the only thing he remembers was the ambulance."

About 10:15 p.m., Andrea Maddox, of the first block of Tremaine Court in Woodlawn, was fatally stabbed outside an apartment in the 400 block of Swann Ave., police said.

Homicide Detective Frank Barlow said Maurice Mitchell, 23, of the Swann Avenue address, was in his apartment with Shonta Davenport, 20, of the 400 block of Mount Holly St., when a woman whom Barlow declined to name showed up and began banging on Mitchell's door.

Barlow said the woman, who was driven to the Uplands Apartments by Maddox, went into the parking lot and began kicking Mitchell's car.

This brought Mitchell and Davenport from the apartment and a heated argument ensued, during which Maddox was stabbed twice in the chest and once in the arm with a kitchen knife, Barlow said.

He said Mitchell was stabbed in the right hand.

Maddox was taken by ambulance to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where she died of her injuries at 11:17 p.m., Barlow said.

Mitchell was treated at St. Agnes Hospital and released, Barlow said.

The unidentified woman was not injured, he said.

Barlow said Davenport was arrested and was being held.

A domestic dispute was the apparent motive for the stabbing, Barlow said today.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.