Following are government contracts recently awarded to area companies:
* The John Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel won a $17,332,619 contract from the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command to provide research, development, engineering and technical services on tactical/strategic systems, space science, geophysics, biophysics, and microelectronics.
* Westinghouse Electric Corp. in Linthicum won a $2,338,287 contract from the Air Force for operation and maintenance and a $108,991 Air Force contract for research and development.
* Hartco Janitorial Services in Oxon Hill won a $1,017,416 contract from the Navy for custodial services.
* Westinghouse Electric Corp. in Hunt Valley won a $187,057 contract from the Marine Corps for AN/TPS-63 radar set repairs and spares.
* Stv/Lyon Associates in Baltimore won a $750,000 contract from the Army for planning services to support the Mobile District Military Mission.
* International Business Machines Corp. in Bethesda won a $53,965 contract from the Navy to provide maintenance of security systems.
* Herbert Romerstein in Clinton won a $35,000 contract from the U.S. Information Agency to research and analyze Soviet disinformation on trends and development in the Soviet Union.
* Fairchild Space & Defense Corp. in Greenbelt won a $53,744,837 contract from Goddard Space Flight Center for engineering support services.
* Bethlehem Steel Corp. in Sparrows Point won a $3,122,978 contract from the Military Sealift Command to provide regular overhaul.
* University of Maryland in College Park won a $1,758,000 contract from Goddard Space Flight Center to provide research and development studies in atmospheric interactions.
Weinschel Bruno Associates in Gaithersburg won a $47,500 contract from the Defense Electronics Supply Center for variable attenuators.
* Bellae Vista Landscaping Inc. in Lexington Park won a $1,192,560 contract from the Navy to provide grounds and landscape maintenance at the Philadelphia Naval Base.
* Artdie Engraving Co. in Baltimore won a $435,462 contract from the U.S. Government Printing Office to provide forms.
* Arlington Construction Inc. in Washington won a $176,500 contract from the Navy to repair plumbing and steam systems.