Man Sought In Fatal I-95 Crash Held On Drug Charges

Manslaughter Suspect Arrested In Baltimore

December 22, 1991|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore man wanted on manslaughter charges in connection with a collision on Interstate 95 in April that killed four people is being held at the Baltimore city jail on drug charges.

Anthony W. Haywood is being held on $75,000 bond on narcotics possession and conspiracy charges, filed by Baltimore police, according to city jail records.His trial has not been scheduled.

Further details, including the date city police arrested Haywood,were unavailable.

Once the city case is processed, Haywood will be transferred to Harford to face four counts of manslaughter and drugcharges stemming from the April 1 crash, county Assistant State's Attorney Jeff Michael said.

Haywood was indicted by a Harford grand jury on May 1 on four counts of manslaughter by vehicle, court records say. He was indicted again on May 14 on a charge of driving under the influence of drugs.

Blood and urine samples taken from Haywood found Doriden, morphine and codeine -- painkillers and tranquilizers -- in his system at the time of the 10:35 a.m. crash, police said in court records. Investigators did not indicate how much of the drugs were present in his system.

Haywood's 18-month-old son, an elderly New York couple and their grandson were killed when Haywood's southbound Ford Probe crossed the grassy median strip on the highway and collided head-on with an oncoming car, just south of the Aberdeen interchange.

Haywood, who had turned himself in to police when the charges were filed, was released from the county Detention Center after his bond was reduced from $50,000 to $10,000 by Harford District Judge John S. Landbeck Jr. on May 1.

At the bond-review hearing, Haywoodtestified that he was getting an attorney to represent him. "I lost my very own son in this accident," Haywood told the judge. "I don't have any problems facing up to it."

But Harford Circuit Court JudgeWilliam O. Carr issued a warrant for Haywood's arrest on June 4 whenthe 22-year-old city man did not respond to the grand jury indictment.

Haywood, whose relatives own a Baltimore restaurant, was arrested twice on drug-related charges but never prosecuted, according to testimony at his bond hearing.

In addition, Haywood said at the hearing that he had pleaded guilty as a juvenile to theft charges in Allegheny County, Pa. He said he was riding with friends in a stolen carwhen the vehicle was stopped by police.

In the I-95 accident, Haywood's car ran into a Chevrolet Celebrity driven by Arthur H. Voight,78, of Queens Village, N.Y., who died April 18 at the Maryland ShockTrauma Center at University Medical Center in Baltimore. His wife, Georgiana Voight, 76, and their grandson, John C. Hinojosa, 22, of Herndon, Va., were killed instantly.

Haywood's son, Anthony W. Haywood Jr., was thrown from the car and died several hours later at Harford Memorial Hospital. Haywood was treated for a broken right arm and adislocated shoulder at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and releasedApril 5.

The impact of the collision stopped the speedometer on Haywood's car at 84 mph, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.