Police beat

Police beat

December 22, 1991


Firefighters rescued a Bel Air man whose clothes were set ablaze in a cooking accident Thursday afternoon.

Royston Clark, 90, of the 2100 block of Robertson Road, was flown by state police helicopter to the Francis Scott Key Burn Center in Baltimore, where he was listed in critical condition Friday afternoon.

Clark suffered third-degree burns over 65 percent of his body, the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Co. reported. "His clothing caught fire on the stove, and he set a curtain on fire," Deputy Chief Don McLean said.

Volunteers from the Bel Air and Darlington fire companies responded to a call for help at 2:10 p.m. Thursday. There was virtually no damage to the house, and the fire was quickly extinguished, McLean said.


A Washington, D.C., man was arrested early Tuesday after crashing in a suspected stolen car while trying to elude police, the Sheriff's Office said.

Police said they are searching for suspects who escaped in another sports car believed stolen from an Edgewood auto dealership Tuesday.

The Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to a theft alarm at 4:42 a.m. at the Route 40 Nissan dealership Tuesday. They found that keys and registration were missing for two cars and a front window had been smashed open. Police agencies were given descriptions of the missing cars.

Minutes later, a state trooper reported giving chase to a 1991 Nissan Maxima with no tags that was spotted at the intersection of routes 40 and 152.

The car sped north on Route 40 until it crashed at the intersection with Route 755.

Thomas E. Easton of Washington was arrested and charged with breaking and entering, car theft, failure to stop after an accident, and leaving a vehicle unattended.

Heis held in the county detention center on $10,500 bond.

Police are searching for a red 1991 Nissan 300ZX Turbo.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Criminal Investigations Division at 838-6600.


Police are searching for a man in connection with the accidental shooting of a teen-ager last month in Perryman.

An arrest warrant was issued Dec. 11 for Jon Palmer, 18, who was charged with reckless endangerment and carrying a hand gun.

The warrant stems from an incident Nov. 23 in which John DeBow was shot outside an apartment building in the 200 block of Perrywood Court.

Police said they believe Palmer was displaying a small-caliber handgun that discharged accidentally.

DeBow, 16, of Havre de Grace, was shot in the chest. He was treated and released from the University of Maryland's Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Police said Palmer, of no fixed address, is a 6-foot-2 black man who weighs about 160 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes and was last seen wearing a red jacket, blue jeans and a dark shirt.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the Sheriff's Criminal Investigation Division at 838-6600.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.