Church is scene of marriage between art and design

December 22, 1991|By Linda Lowe Morris

The marriage of art and design has finally taken place at a little country church near Glenelg.

In two buildings that were once home to a United Methodist congregation, interior designer Joan Wachtman has brought a selection of works by many regional artists and craftspeople to join the eclectic antiques already offered by Ann and Austin Robson.

The Robsons bought the former Westwood Church five years ago with the idea of opening an antiques shop. The original church, was built in 1858. A second sanctuary was added in 1921.

Westwood Antiques opened four years ago in the 1921 church with Shaker furniture, Victorian furniture and accessories, art deco items and a good collection of American country furniture. Ms. Wachtman, an old friend, rented space there for her interior design studio.

When the Robsons decided to bring in fine arts, they asked Ms. Wachtman if she would like to organize and run a separate gallery. The result, the Artists' Gallery at Westwood Antiques, opened last September in the 1858 building.

Shown in the new gallery are silk screen prints; paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor; trompe l'oeil and painted furniture; paper art; hand-woven textiles; photographs; canvas floor coverings; ceramics; and decorator screens. The artisans will take commissions.

Westwood Antiques and the Artist's Gallery at Westwood Antiques are located at 13554 Triadelphia Road in Glenelg. The hours of both are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays to Sundays and by appointment. The telephone number is (410) 531-5714.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.