Around the house
* Group houseplants together in a red basket for a quick holiday touch. Decorate with tiny lights or miniature ornaments.
* Need more ornaments for the tree but short of cash? Several yards of satin ribbon can yield bows to tie on branches. Fill out the remainder of the tree with odd jewelry, dried flowers and candy canes.
* Add a festive touch to your holiday table. Use cookie cutters in various shapes such as bells, Santas and Christmas trees as napkin rings.
* For instant pizzaz, group two or more poinsettia plants together. Adorn plants with large bows made of gold or silver wired ribbon.
* Dishes made from meats, poultry, seafood, eggs and dairy products can cause food poisoning if left out longer than two hours. Make sure these foods are kept cold (below 40 degree Fahrenheit) or hot (above 140 degrees Fahrenheit) before serving.
* To save energy, preheat oven no longer than 10 minutes.
In the garden
* Water all house plants or office plants thoroughly before vacationing or closing the office. Group plants together and cover with a clear plastic bag. Keep out of direct sun. House plants can be grouped together in a bathtub. If you will be gone for more than one week, add a small amount of water to the tub before positioning plants. The plastic covering will retain the moisture.