Annapolis Pair Sues Over Canned Worm

December 20, 1991|By Jay Apperson | Jay Apperson,Staff writer

An Annapolis woman and her 15-year-old daughter are suing the Campbell Soup Company, claiming they found a worm in their vegetable soup.

Diana Elliott Early and her daughter, Jessica, were eating Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable Soup on Sept. 27, 1989, when the child noticed what appeared to be an insect or a rodent in her bowl, according to the suit. The substance was identified as a worm known as a "European corn borer," according to the complaint, filed Wednesday in countyCircuit Court.

After seeing the worm, the mother and daughter "were overcome with hysteria, became nauseous and vomited for approximately two hours,"the suit states. They also suffered "great pain and mental anguish" from eating soup that was "unwholesome and unfit for human consumption and unreasonably dangerous in that it had a worm in it."

The women claim to have bought the soup at a Super Fresh in Arnold. The suitcharges Campbell Soup Company of New York and Super Fresh Food Markets of Maryland Inc. with negligence, breach of warranty and liability. In each of the four counts, the plaintiffs are seeking $75,000 in damages.

Attempts to reach officials at Campbell Soup and Super Fresh were unsuccessful.

Samuel J. Brown, attorney for the woman and daughter, said his clients were offered $100 to settle the suit.

"They were offended," he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.