Flashbacks

FLASHBACKS

December 18, 1991|By Diane Mullaly

50 Years Ago (week of Dec. 14-20, 1941):

* It was announced this week that the county commissioners had authorized the construction ofa dam in the Tiber River, which runs through downtown Ellicott City.The purpose of the dam was to have an added water supply in the areain the event of a war-related emergency. The dam was to be placed behind the Miller Chevrolet building (now the Shops at Ellicott Mills).

* H. Grafton Penney, president of the Board of Howard County Commissioners and director of Howard County Civilian Defense, attended a conference with Gov. Herbert R. O'Conor in Annapolis, along with 200 other local defense leaders. The purpose of the conference was to make immediate plans for civilian defense at state and local levels. Conference attendees also witnessed a test of thermite and magnesium firebombs.

25 Years Ago (week of Dec. 11-17, 1966):

* The Savage Volunteer Fire Department was offering to fireproof Christmas trees this week. The service was offered free to all 6th District residents, but it was emphasized that residents would be required to bring theirtrees to the Lincoln Avenue firehouse in order to take advantage of the offer.

* The Rouse Co. recorded Columbia's first subdivision plats at the county courthouse this week. The plats were for the area known as the Birches, a 36-acre tract of single-family homes located west of U.S. 29 and south of Route 108.

Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's Library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.