ELLICOTT CITY -- A Howard County Circuit Court judge set bail at $500,000 Tuesday fora 15-year-old Capitol Heights youth accused of first-degree rape in the attack of a jogger at Centennial Park.
Antonio Lee Perry, who was assigned to a state facility for troubled youths in Carroll County at the time of the April 26 attack, originally was charged as an adult with second-degree rape.
The new first-degree rape charge, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, was based on information obtained from additional investigation into the case, said assistant state's attorney Timothy G. Wolf.
After the new indictment, Wolf asked that Perry's $100,000 bond be revoked. The bond initially was set at $1 million, but Circuit Judge James B. Dudley reduced the bail to $100,000 in October.
At yesterday's bond hearing, Perry's public defender, Louis Willemin, argued that the state decided to bring the more serious charge offirst-degree rape after the bond was reduced to $100,000.
"Only then did the state up the ante and allege that this case was not -- asthey had argued for the past six months -- second-degree rape," Willemin said.
He called the new charge "nothing more than a transparent effort to manipulate the court."
Urging Dudley to assign Perry to pre-trial supervision, Willemin said Perry's parents can provide him with a stable home life until his Jan. 8 trial.
Wolf argued that Perry should be denied bond, saying he was charged as a juvenile with raping a girl in Prince George's county when he was 14.
He was sent to the Thomas O'Farrell Youth Center in Henryton for therapy andwas on a supervised outing at Centennial Park with other youths fromthe center at the time of the April attack.
"This is a very dangerous individual," Wolf said. "Everyone who has ever bothered to look into the matter has stated as much."
Before setting the new bail, Dudley complained that he should have had an opportunity to review Perry's court records and psychological evaluations from the juvenile court system.
However, Willemin said Perry did not wish to waive his privilege of confidentiality.
"If a bail is to be set, a judge is entitled to have the information that a bunch of social workers have," Dudley said.
"I don't think I should be required to make a serious judgment in a factual vacuum," he said.
TWO FOUND GUILTY
WESTMINSTER -- Two Manchester residents were convicted last week on drug charges in Carroll Circuit Court.
Penny Maynard, 33, and Barry Gordon Rill, 30, both of the 3000 block of Main Street, were found guilty of the drug charges by Circuit Judge Francis M. Arnold.
Maynard was convicted of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
She was acquitted of one count of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.
Rill was found guilty of possession of marijuana, possession of the drug with intentto distribute, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The charges against Maynard and Rill stem from a June 28 arrest at their home after members of the Carroll County Narcotics Task Force executed a search and seizure warrant.
DRUG CHARGES FILED
WESTMINSTER -- A Westminster High School student faces juvenile delinquency charges after a vice principal found 13 doses of a hallucinogenic drug in the student's possession, state police reported.
The 15-year-old boy, whose name was withheld by police, faces the delinquency charges for possession of LSD and possession of LSD with intent todistribute.
Police said the boy was arrested after another student became ill after receiving the drug.
The student who took the drug was not charged and did not require medical attention, police said.
FIRE CAUSE PROBED
ELDERSBURG -- State fire officials were still searching late Friday for the cause of an early morning fire Wednesday that caused $30,000 damage to a restaurant on Sykesville Road.
Deputy Fire Marshal Bob Thomas said five fire companies from Howard and Carroll counties responded to the fire at Morty's Restaurant.
Thomas said the 12:05 a.m. fire broke out in a room in the building's basement.
The fire caused extensive damage to the room, the kitchen and a hallway.
Thomas said some employees and patrons were in the building when the fire broke out.
There were no injuries.
BLAZE DESTROYS HOME
MANCHESTER -- A secluded, two-story home was destroyed by fire Dec. 5 when the ceiling above a wood-burning stove caught fire, state fire officials said.
The two-alarm blaze at the home in the 4000 block of Back Woods Drive caused $90,000 damage, said Deputy State Fire Marshal Bob Thomas.
The fire was reported by one of the home's residents.
Thehome was owned by Iva Dingus of Mount Carmel, Thomas said.
It took about 45 firefighters from Manchester, Pleasant Valley, Reese, Lineboro and Pleasant Hills, Pa., about 40 minutes to bring the fire under control.
SOLVE CRIME OF THE WEEK
Crime Solvers, a volunteer group that assists area police, is asking residents to help solve the Crime of the Week.