Undercover Police Arrest 2 In Drug Sting

Police beat

December 15, 1991

County police detectives, posing as runners for a drug dealer, arrested two Glen Burnie men Thursday evening after selling them $50 worthof fake crack cocaine, police said.

The detectives had received atip that the men would be waiting to buy a half-gram of cocaine froma drug dealer in a parking lot at Thompson Avenue and Furnace BranchRoad in Glen Burnie.

The detectives arrived first, sold fake cocaine to the men and then arrested them. Police say they found a plastic bag containing cocaine residue in the men's car, a home-made smoking pipe and two large knives.

Kenneth Jerome Funk, 33, of the unit block of Chester Circle, and Karl Edward Ries, 31, of the 100 block of Beth Road, were charged with attempted possession of cocaine, possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia and concealment of a deadly weapon.


A man walking on a wooded path in Glen Burnie was attacked by two men who took his empty wallet Thursday night.

Samuel Douglas Lynn, 31, of the 400 block of Glen Mar Road, Glen Burnie, told police he waswalking on a short path that connects Nolpark Court to Phirne Road at about 9 p.m. when someone ran up frombehind and shoved him to the ground.

Lynn said that as he turned around to see what was happening, he was punched once in the face andtold that if he looked again, he would be shot.

A second man thenplaced a cold object to the back of Lynn's head. They took Lynn's wallet, which contained no money, and ran down Nolpark Court to anotherwooded path that leads behind a dentist office and a Dash Inn food store.

Police searched the area but could not come up with any leads. Lynn, who suffered bruises, refused treatment.

The first suspect is described as a black male in his early 20s, about 5 feet 7 inches tall, with a small build and a deep voice. He was wearing a red capwith white lettering on the front and dark, baggy clothes.

The second suspect is described as a tall black male, also in his early 20s, with a big build. He was wearing dark clothes, possibly a jogging outfit, and could be armed.


A one-alarm fire that may have been set by a burglar caused $30,000 in damage to a Cape St. Claire home Thursday night.

Capt. Gary Sheckells, a county Fire Department spokesman, said it took 18 firefighters about three hours to douse the flames.

He said the split-foyer home,in the 1100 block of Summit Avenue, sustained damage in the basement, where fire ignited in a couch.

Sheckells said the fire has been labeled suspicious and could be linked to a breaking and entering that occurred in the home just before the fire started.

He said the owner and occupant, Dorothy D. Stephens, was not home when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported.


A 20-year-old Glen Burnie man has been charged with setting a false alarm following a party in the Woodsie Apartment complex.

Capt. Sheckells said Raymond L. Henderson, of the 8000 block of Crain Highway, was charged earlier this week with the false alarm and reckless endangerment.

He said the man allegedly pulled the alarm after leaving a party on Dec. 4. He said there were several witnesses.

"It is important that people learn that is not a prank," Sheckells said. "It is a very serious offense."


6100 block of Fishers StationRoad: Dec. 11, entry gained through shed door. Chain saw and weed trimmer taken. Total loss: $1,180.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.