Southwestern's upset list grows as No. 9 Edmondson falls, 70-69 Boys basketball

December 14, 1991|By Derek Toney

Baltimore's boys basketball giant killers struck again yesterday.

Unranked Southwestern defeated visiting Edmondson, 70-69, in a Maryland Scholastic Association interconference basketball game. It was Southwestern's third straight victory over a team ranked in The Baltimore Sun's top 20.

Senior guard Haywood Eaddy led the Sabres with 13 points and six assists. Devo Weems came off the bench to add 11, and Wilbert Smith had 10. Eddie Rivers scored 21 and Randolph Edison 19 for Edmondson.

Last weekend, Southwestern (3-1) knocked off No. 4 Cardinal Gibbons and No. 11 Carver to claim the Babe Ruth Tournament && title at Gibbons.

But unlike those two upsets, the Sabres' latest effort against No. 9 Edmondson ended in a bit of controversy.

With two seconds remaining in regulation, Edison's jumper off the glass for Edmondson was ruled a two-pointer.

"I thought it was a three [-pointer]," said Edison. "When I took off for the shot, I was behind the line. Then Devo Williams came right at me, and I pump-faked and shot. My feet came down inside the line."

Edison had tied the game at 67 with two free throws with 47 seconds remaining. Ten seconds later, the Sabres regained the lead on a free throw by Iran Jones.

The Redskins committed a turnover on a five-second inbounds violation. Southwestern broke Edmondson's half-court pressure for a layup by Smith, pushing the lead to 70-67 with 28 seconds remaining.

With 20 seconds left, Jones knocked away a pass intended for Rivers in the paint and Smith was fouled, but missed the front end of the one-and-one, leading to the decisive shot by Edison.

"We've been doing it on hard work," said Southwestern first-year coach Terry Leverett of his team's early-season success. "They want it. They're a small team, but they play with big hearts."

The game was played at an uptempo pace on both ends of the court. The Sabres wanted to run to neutralize the Redskins' height advantage.

The teams combined for 29 first-half turnovers. Southwestern led, 31-28, before opening the second half with an 11-5 run.

The Redskins closed to within 48-47, but Southwestern pushed the advantage to 59-51 with Eaddy scoring six during an 11-4 spurt.

Edmondson countered with a 12-4 run, tying the score at 63 on a follow-up of a missed free throw by Kevin Hunley, setting up the final minute.

"For us to come down to the buzzer against Southwestern, with the way they've been playing, I'm pleased," said Edmondson coach James James, whose team is favored in the MSA B Conference. "I knew that they would run, but we can run also. Really, I was wondering if they could run with us, and they did."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.