Obezags Left In Dark By Rival Eagles, 58-41

December 11, 1991|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Staff writer

It seemed a bit ironic when the lights in Key's School's gymnasium went out during halftime of yesterday's boys basketball game with non-league rival Annapolis Area Christian School.

For starters, neither team had exactly shot the lights out in the first two quarters thatsaw Annapolis Area Christian mount a 32-21 halftime lead and go on to win, 58-41.

The hosts sank a lean four of 22 shots from the field in the first half, while the visiting Eagles were an equally inconsistent 12 of 32 from the floor.

The Eagles (1-1) took over in the opening minutes of the contest following a breakaway layup by freshman Jimmy Himesfor a commanding 9-0 lead.

Turnovers plagued the Obezags in the early going. They recorded six in the first quarter, including one that bounced off the backboard on an inbound pass.

Key School had itschances to narrow the margin early on, but missed the mark on its first seven free-throw opportunities. Drew Uroskie eventually pulled the Obezags out of their scoring misery with a free throw that triggered a seven-point run.

Junior guard Adam Richman scored Key School'sonly two field goals of the period, and freshman Mike Hill buried two foul shots to bring the hosts back heading into the second quarter.

The Eagles' full-court press continued to frustrate the Obezags and allowed Annapolis to build a 20-13 lead with 4 minutes, 10 secondsleft in the half. Josh Rivers caught fire for the Eagles late in thesecond quarter, scoring seven of his 10 points.

Baskets by Uroskie, Eric Leshinsky and Adam Haile in the waning seconds of the first half gave Key School some hope at the half, as it trailed by nine, 32-21.

"We got behind early, and we just couldn't dig ourselves out of the hole," said Key School coach Ivan Leshinsky. "Turnovers hurt us, too, but they happen when you're inexperienced like we are."

Emergency lighting appeared to provide ample illumination for the teams to warm up under during the intermission, but once the Obezags took the floor in the second half, it was obvious their eyes hadn't yet adjusted, as they converted just two of 12 field goals.

The Eagles seemed a bit less bothered by the changing conditions, however, as theyhit seven of 15 from the floor to take a 47-25 lead heading into thefinal period.

The two teams played evenly in the fourth quarter, but with a lead that reached as many as 27 at one point, the Eagles weren't fretting. Himes led Annapolis with 12 points, followed by Rivers and Brent Wolfe with 10 apiece.

Leshinsky led all scorers with 14 points, but it wasn't enough as the Obezags dropped to 0-2.

"Overall, I feel pretty good about the way we played," said Annapolis Area Christian first-year coach Scott Gilman. "We were kind of sloppy, and we weren't running the half-court offense like I had hoped, but the guys were scrapping and they ran the press well.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.