Keith R. Hayes Jr. dies


Lansdowne student was 16Services...

December 11, 1991

Keith R. Hayes Jr. dies; Lansdowne student was 16

Services for Keith R. Hayes Jr., a junior at Lansdowne High School, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Lansdowne Alliance Church, 2212 Lansdowne Road.

Known as "Snapper," the 16-year-old resident of Janice Avenue in Lansdowne died Sunday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after being injured in an automobile accident Nov. 27 in Ellicott City.

A member of the Student Council at the high school, where he made posters, signs and other artwork and played on the ninth grade lacrosse team, the Baltimore native had previously attended the Lansdowne elementary and middle schools.

He also played soccer on a St. Clement's Church team and baseball with Lansdowne and Baltimore Highlands recreation center teams.

Fond of working on cars, he had a part-time job at Beltway International Trucks Inc.

He is survived by his mother and stepfather, Gail V. and Guy H. Sheetz Sr. of Lansdowne; his father, Keith R. Hayes Sr. of Lansdowne; a sister, Tammy L. Hayes of Lansdowne; two brothers, John J. and Guy H. Sheetz Jr., both of Lansdowne; his grandmother and stepgrandfather, Elsie and John Pusloskie, both of Lansdowne; a grandmother, Edith King of Paw Paw, W.Va.; and a stepgrandmother, Patricia Reed of Hampstead. Services for Appye Hurt Bell, a retired home economics teacher, will be held at noon today at the Douglas Memorial Community Church, Lafayette and Madison avenues.

Mrs. Bell, who was 85 and lived on Oak Haven Circle in Hebbville, died Sunday of cancer at the Mercy Medical Center.

She retired about 15 years ago from MacArthur Middle School at Fort Meade and had also taught at Bates High School in Annapolis.

In Baltimore, she taught at Douglass High School and what is now Morgan State University. In addition, she taught at a high school in Winston-Salem, N.C., and at Prairie View College in Texas.

OC A native of Brookneal, Va., the former Appye Hurt came to Balti

more to attend Morgan after her graduation from high school in Lynchburg, Va.

She held a master's degree from Columbia University, where she also did further graduate work.

Her husband, Robert A. Bell, who was in the real estate business, died in 1984.

She is survived by a brother, John J. Hurt of Baltimore; two sisters, Ellie Williams of Appomattox, Va., and Mabel Hancock of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

F. W. Marshall Jr.

Worked at Social Security

Services for Frederick W. Marshall Jr., a former supervisor in the personnel department at Social Security Administration headquarters in Woodlawn, will be held at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Harry H. Witzke Funeral Home, 4112 Old Columbia Pike in Ellicott City.

Mr. Marshall, who was 75 and moved to Melbourne, Fla., after his retirement in 1977, died Sunday after a heart attack while visiting his daughter in Ellicott City.

At Social Security for 25 years, he came to the Baltimore area when he began working there.

Earlier, he had been a civilian employee of the Coast Guard in Key West, Fla., and owned several businesses in Miami.

A native of Verplanck Point, N.Y., he was a graduate of the University of Miami and served in the Navy during World War II. He was a member of the Disabled American Veterans.

He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Neary; a son, Frederick W. Marshall III of Panama City, Fla.; his daughter, Kathleen Marshall Adams of Ellicott City; two sisters, Trudy Raffin of Beverly Hills, Calif., and Dorothy Varipapa of West

Hempstead, N.Y.; and two grandsons.

Rev. Edgar W. Ward

Presbyterian pastor

A memorial service for the Rev. Edgar W. Ward, head of the placement unit of the Presbyterian Church and a former pastor of the Cherry Hill Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Caldwell Chapel of the Louisville (Ky.) Presbyterian Seminary.

Mr. Ward, who was 66 and lived in Louisville, died Sunday of cancer at a hospital there.

He had been director of the Church Vocations Ministry Unit of the Presbyterian Church since 1987, and for 14 years before that held the same post with the former United Presbyterian Church.

He held other church posts andserved churches in North Carolina and Chicago as well as in Baltimore.

In Baltimore, he also served as vice moderator of the presbytery and in Chicago held an administrative post for urban churches for the presbytery.

At Cherry Hill, he expanded the congregation, set up a seven-day-a-week program including such things as a Planned Parenthood clinic and a Sunday school, with a full-time director of Christian education, that served 1,000 children from the church and the community.

He expanded the congregation and started the first black chapter of the Presbyterian Men in Maryland while there. He also was active in organizing a national group, Black Presbyterians United.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.