Loyola edges Mount St. Mary's, 98-94

December 07, 1991|By Paul McMullen

The player who scored a crucial game-tying basket in Friday night's Loyola-Mount St. Mary's basketball game was listed incorrectly in yesterday's editions of The Sun. Chad Stull of Mount St. Mary's made the three-point shot to send the game into overtime.

The Sun regrets the error.

After an 0-4 start that rattled its confidence, Loyola was desperate for a victory.

That backdrop explained coach Tom Schneider's quickness to overlook a second straight game in which his Greyhounds blew a 14-point lead, as they subdued Mount St. Mary's, 98-94, in overtime to open the fourth Baltimore Beltway Classic at Maryland Baltimore County.

Loyola (1-4) advanced to the championship game tonight at 8. It will play UMBC, which defeated Towson State, 93-83, in the second game of last night's doubleheader.


Mount St. Mary's (0-4) will try to end a 10-game losing streak, the longest in its basketball history, in the 6 p.m. consolation game.

Loyola had a 69-55 lead with less than six minutes to play, before Mount St. Mary's began hitting three-point shots -- the last one by sophomore forward Michael Reese with three seconds left to tie the game, 78-78, and force the overtime.

The Greyhounds had wasted a similar bulge in their Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener against Manhattan, but Schneider said this one was different, and not just because the Greyhounds won.

"We gave that Manhattan game away," Schneider said. "Mount St. Mary's got back in this one with some threes that aren't easy to defend, and we had played well defensively for most of the second half.

"The important thing is, we responded after halftime. We began the season with three losses on the West Coast, and we've been in a malaise ever since. We began to show some pride in the second half though, and I'm hoping this is one to build on."

Loyola got game-high totals of 28 points and nine rebounds from Reese, a transfer from Boston College who has performed consistently while some veteran teammates have struggled. He played 44 of the game's 45 minutes.

Loyola senior guard Kevin Green added 19 points, and junior point guard Tracy Bergan had 14 points and eight assists. Freshmen Matt Gabriel and Brian Pendleton had 10 apiece, as did junior center George Sereikas.

The Greyhounds took just 24 shots in the first half, and were down by 46-38 with 18:17 left before Green went on a tear and his teammates stepped up its defense. Green scored 10 points in the next five minutes, as the Greyhounds went on a 15-0 run to take a 53-46 lead. The gap grew to 69-55 with 6:20 remaining, as Mount St. Mary's scored just two baskets in more than 12 minutes.

The Mountaineers rallied behind 6-8 junior Dave Nanni, who scored nine of his 14 points in less than four minutes. Sophomore Chad Stull then took over for the Mountaineers, scoring three baskets in the final 2:41, the last being Reese's three-pointer to force overtime.

Green was on the bench with five fouls, but Loyola regrouped in the overtime, as Kevin Anderson got the Greyhounds an 84-78 lead with two quick baskets. Gabriel, subbing for Green, hit four straight free throws to help build a 97-88 advantage that was enough to give Loyola its second straight Beltway Classic win over Mount St. Mary's.

Junior guard Kevin Booth led the Mountaineers with 20 points, but he was 7-for-23 from the field, 6-14 from three-point range. His team shot only 10-33 in the second half, as the Greyhounds played man-to-man defense the entire way.

"Mount St. Mary's has a team of guys capable of making three-pointers," Schneider said. "They're not very deep, and I think our man pressure was pretty important."

Freshman Phil Galvin made his first start for the Mountaineers, and had 17 points. Jeff Hall had 12, and Stull and Bobby Hill finished with 10 apiece.

"It's disappointing, but in some ways it's encouraging," said Mount coach Jim Phelan, who tried his fourth lineup in as many games. "We've got to get a win."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.