Holtz signs five-year deal with IrishLou Holtz signed a...

Sports briefly

December 06, 1991

Holtz signs five-year deal with Irish

Lou Holtz signed a five-year contract extension yesterday, abruptly ending speculation that the Notre Dame coach might leave for the Minnesota Vikings. Holtz feared the continuous speculation would hurt recruiting, but he proved unable to squelch rumors that he might take the NFL job.

Holtz said repeatedly he intended to stay at Notre Dame, but talk flared anew when the Vikings announced Wednesday that Jerry Burns would retire and team president Roger Headrick said he would approach Holtz about the job. Holtz, 54, has a 55-17 record in six seasons at Notre Dame, and an overall record of 171-82-5 in 22 years as a college coach.

* Clemson tailback Ronald Williams will undergo knee surgery next week and will not play in the Citrus Bowl, coach Ken Hatfield said. Williams injured his knee during warm-ups before the North Carolina State game on Oct. 26 and has never fully recovered.

Pro basketball

Magic Johnson, who retired from the NBA last month after disclosing he was infected with the virus that cause AIDS, has signed a contract with Random House to write three books, including his autobiography and a guide to responsible sexual behavior, the publishing firm said. Retired U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop would collaborate with Johnson on the sexual guide, with proceeds to go to the new Magic Johnson Foundation to support education, care and research in AIDS and related subjects.

College basketball

Associated Press reporter Beth Harris said she was prevented from entering Indiana locker room Tuesday night, while attempting to get player comment after the Hoosiers' game against Notre Dame. "It's our policy to deny access to members of the opposite sex to all locker room areas," said Kit Klingelhoffer, Indiana sports information director. He said the university's policy is to make players available outside the facility to reporters of the opposite sex.

However, Harris said that she asked sports personnel to request interviews with two players for her, but coach Bob Knight told the staff not to make special accommodations.

Golf

The teams of Ted Schulz-Jane Crafter and Mike Hulbert-Laura Davies matched scores of 7-under-par 64 Thursday to share the first-round lead in the J.C. Penney Golf Classic in Tarpon Springs, Fla. The teams of Ed Humenik-Elaine Crosby, Ken Green-Barb Bunkowsky and Davis Love III-Beth Daniel were tied for third place, two strokes behind the leaders. Love and Daniel are the defending champions.

* Mark McNulty of Zimbabwe started hot on an unusually cool day, shooting a 6-under-par 66 in the first round of the $1 Million Golf Challenge in Sun City, South Africa. McNulty's round, one stroke shy of the tournament record, gave him a one-stroke lead over Australian Steve Elkington. Bernhard Langer of Germany was another stroke back in the quest for golf's biggest top prize, $1 million.

Tennis

Boris Becker of Germany survived an early scare against Dutchman Jan Siemerink and won, 7-6 (7-0), 6-3, to reach the quarterfinals of the European Community Championship in Antwerp, Belgium. Aaron Krickstein beat Patrick McEnroe, 6-1, 6-4, in an all-American battle that lasted a little over an hour.

Boxing

Baltimore middleweight Percy Harris, who had been scheduled to fight a six-round preliminary bout at the Pikesville Armory Wednesday night, opted for a championship match in Milan, Italy, the same day. He will be returning home tomorrow with the International Boxing Federation Intercontinental title. Harris (15-2) won a 12-round decision over Thomas Tate of Houston to claim the title that had been vacated by Miodrag Perunovic of Yugoslavia.

The Maryland State Athletic Commission is considering whether to suspend Harris for failing to appear here for his scheduled fight against Fabian Garcia of Rockville.

Soccer

The U.S. organizers of the 1994 World Cup finals are planning to stage the tournament at 12 different venues spread across the country, said Alan Rothenberg, president of the U.S. Soccer Federation and chairman of the U.S. World Cup organizing committee.

Rothenberg said a decision on the venues should be made by the end of March next year. Of 26 cities that applied to host World Cup matches, 19 remain on the short list.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.