December 06, 1991|By Carleton Jones and Barbara H. Smith


It Was Silly But Fun

"In 1941 Goucher College was still downtown at Charles and St. Paul streets. Our one dorm was out at the Dulaney Valley Road campus, yet to be built. We would have to take a little shuttle in to Towson and then take the trolley downtown to the classrooms. The tradition of a mock Army-Navy game began on Thanksgiving morning 1918 (it was played on Dec. 6 in 1941). We actually played field hockey (for the mock game), the two rivals being different classes at Goucher. The game winner was reported to the West Point and Annapolis boys. It was kind of a silly thing. We had their mascots, the goat and mule, and we had a cheerleading squad. It sure was a lot of fun. Those times changed forever, didn't they?" -- Mrs. Bagwell, a 1944 graduate of Goucher, now lives in El Paso, Texas. "At 16, I had to christen a new Liberty ship, the Roger B. Taney, named in honor of the chief justice. My mother (the wife of Gov. Herbert R. O'Conor) was to christen the Richard Henry Lee steamer at the same time at the Bethlehem Steel shipyard. It was a windy day, and I wore a fur jacket over my new dress. I was excited, of course, and I had to give a little thank-you speech. The first two times I hit the ship, the champagne bottle didn't break. I kept trying, and when it finally broke, the workmen and sailors there applauded. After that we went back to the Belvedere Hotel for a big luncheon for 250 people. The Bethlehem Steel president gave mother a sapphire and diamond pin, and I got a gold watch. I still have it and wore it about a week ago." -- Mrs. Farley, the former Mary Patricia O'Conor, lives in the Orchards section of North Baltimore.

"My wife, Doris, and I were getting ready to go to a family party in Annapolis the next day. I had almost finished a year's service as a rookie state trooper. We were going to christen our firstborn, Tom Jr., at St. Anne's Church in the middle of Annapolis, and my mother was giving a party right afterward. The next day we'd gathered in her home in the Murray Hill section along with state Sen. Louis Phipps, little Tom's godfather, and the then-state comptroller, Millard Tawes, and other people. The military who were present took off when the radio blasted the news. It was an entire shock that came out of the blue. I was rushed to the Conowingo dam and Susquehanna bridges to help protect Route 1 and Route 40." -- Colonel Smith, retired superintendent of the Maryland State Police, and his wife live near Annapolis.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.