The Howard County Republican Club is collecting donations of coats, hats, gloves, socks, underwear, toiletries and non-perishable foods for Christopher's Place, a men's shelter in Baltimore from 9 to 11 a.m. Dec. 14 at Republican Headquarters at 5550 Sterrett Place in Columbia.
Information: 740-1530 or 776-1015.
DONATE COATS TO NEEDY
The Clarksville Lions is collecting winter coats 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Clarksville Firehall.
Area dry cleaners will clean the coats for free.
The Lions will distribute the clothing to needy county residents at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 22 at the Florence Bain Senior Center.
JOIN THE VOLUNTEER CORPS
The Columbia Volunteer Corps is seeking adult volunteers for the following positions:
* The Traditional Acupuncture Institute in Columbia needs a volunteer one full day a week performing scheduling duties, typing, answering the telephone and meeting people. On-the-job training is provided.
* The Service Coordination Systems in Columbia is seeking community companionsfor the developmentally disabled two to four hours a month, by accompanying them on sightseeing, shopping excursions, sporting events or church attendance.
* The Howard County Representative Payee Program needs a volunteer four to six hours a month to assist county elderly and disabled residents in Columbia and immediated surroundings who are incapable of managing their personal affairs. Training is provided.
* The Children of Separation and Divorce Center needs a typist for letters and forms, any time from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. The center will train volunteers on typewriters or word processors.
* Voices for Children, an organization that acts as an advocate for children involved in the juvenile court process as a result of abuse, needs volunteers to set up and work at its wine-tasting fund-raiser in March. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
* TheGirl Scouts of Central Maryland, Howard County, needs a volunteer torecruit adults within the community to spread the word about the benefits of working in Girl Scouting.
JAYCEES NEED HELP
The Elkridge Area Jaycees, a civic and leadership development organization for adults from ages 21 to 39, is seeking volunteers for Santa visits to benefit John Hopkins Children's Center and is collecting food and money donations for its Holiday Food Baskets project for area needy families during the holiday season..
Collectionboxes for non-perishable food donations are at Toomey's Hardware, Commercial Tire, Dougal's Liquors, SuperFresh and Crossroads Market in Elkridge.
DSS TO TRAIN COUNSELORS
The Howard County Department of Social Services is seeking volunteers to train as counselors to assist families and individuals with the eligibility requirements for the Income Maintenance programs.
The department also needs volunteers to perform general office duties including clerical, telephone, reception and computer tasks. Hours are flexible; training will be provided.
PLACES TO LENDA HAND
The Howard County Office on Aging's Volunteer Plus Programoffers the following opportunities for volunteers:
* Seniors interested in cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay may be a part of the new Senior Conservation Corps.
* Your group could plan a fund-raiser to benefit the Office on Aging.
* Visit/Shop for the homebound.
* Deliver food through Meals on Wheels.
* Volunteer at an Eating Together Site.