Roy F. Emery, Howard farmer, lawyer, dies at 70Roy F...


December 03, 1991

Roy F. Emery, Howard farmer, lawyer, dies at 70

Roy F. Emery, a retired dairy farmer, land developer and lawyer who lived in Howard County for 29 years, died of cancer Thursday at his home in Corrales, N.M., where he raised thoroughbred race horses. He was 70.

Born in Chicago, he graduated with honors from the University of Chicago in 1942.

He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in Britain during World War II as a B-17 navigator and later a bombardier who participated in numerous missions over Europe. He left the military with the rank of captain.

He married Jacqueline Marchal in 1949 and settled in Cooksville in western Howard County, where he operated a dairy farm. He also attended Georgetown University Law School, graduating and passing the Maryland Bar in 1957.

Besides practicing law in Ellicott City, he was active in land development in the fast growing suburban county. In 1959, he and his family moved to the historic 18th-century residence, Howard Lodge, in Sykesville. His marriage ended in divorce in 1971. He was known as one of the more colorful members of the Howard County Bar, often reading his poetry to fellow lawyers.

Thomas E. Lloyd, an Ellicott City attorney, recalled that Mr. Emery was good at one-upmanship in the courtroom. He said Mr. Emery had taken an obscure volume of Atlantic Reporter, which cites law cases in Maryland and surrounding states, from the local bar library in the early 1960s and kept it in his desk drawer. "In several cases, he would cite some precedent out of that volume and nobody could check on it because he had the only copy," said Mr. Lloyd.

John M. Morse, who shared an office with Mr. Emery, said he once was invited to attend a New Year's Eve party at the Emery house and was told to dress formally. "He was there with his dog, Nixon, and he kept tossing newspapers into the fireplace to heat the old house. As it turned out, my wife and I were the only guests. He was a tremendous storyteller, and he kept us entertained all night long," Mr. Morse said.

Mr. Emery retired from his Ellicott City law practice in 1978 and moved to New Mexico.

Surviving are two daughters, Ariane Emery-Cohen of Albuquerque, N.M., and Lynn Emery-Bowen of Annapolis; a son, Christopher Emery of Laurel; a sister, Trena Mulligan of Los Angeles; and three grandchildren.

Private services are planned for Mr. Emery.

Henry J. Pulver

Manager, marksman

Services for Henry J. Pulver, an expert marksman who retired as a sergeant first class in the U.S. Army and as administrative services division manager of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, will be held at 3 p.m. today at the chapel of Fort Myer, adjacent to the Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Mr. Pulver, who was 65 and lived on Smokey Wreath Way in Ellicott City, died Nov. 26 at the Johns Hopkins Hospital of complications after surgery.

He retired in 1982 from the institute in Gaithersburg, formerly known as the Bureau of Standards. He had worked there since his retirement from the Army in 1966.

He began his Army service during World War II, serving in the liberation of the Philippines and in the occupation of Japan. Also, he served in Korea, Southeast Asia and in several staff posts. His decorations included the Purple Heart and the Distinguished Service Medal.

He had been a member of the Army's Advanced Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning, Ga., and held the Distinguished Rifleman's Badge. His shooting activities at other posts included membership on the Military District of Washington Rifle Team.

He had been a member and coach of the Maryland State Rifle Team, and had coached or shot for other teams including the George Washington University Rifle Team, which he coached in the 1960s. He was a life member of the National Rifle Association.

Born in Washington and reared in Philadelphia, son of an Episcopal priest, he attended Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pa., and later graduated from the University of Maryland.

He was a resident of Rockville from 1954 until he moved to Ellicott City in 1987 and had been an adult leader of a Boy Scout troop at Christ Episcopal Church there.

He is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Duffield; a daughter, Sally Pillsbury of Chapel Hill, N.C.; two sons, Stephen Pulver of Chapel Hill and Michael Pulver of Columbia; and eight grandchildren.

Hazel Lusby

Hamilton homemaker

Services for Hazel Lusby, who lived in the Hamilton area for 60 years, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Robert C. Altenburg Funeral Home, 6009 Harford Road.

Mrs. Lusby, who was 84, died Saturday after a stroke at Manor Care Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Ruxton.

The Clear Spring native graduated from Clear Spring High School in 1924. She received nursing training at Church Home and Hospital in Baltimore and became a registered nurse in 1927. After receiving her degree, she worked in the Baltimore area for a year before becoming a homemaker.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.