December 01, 1991|By Carleton Jones


Working at Martin

"I was a couple of years out of Poly, only 21 and working as a draftsman at the Glenn L. Martin plant in Middle River. There wasn't any through transit service to the plant from our area and some of us had to walk two miles from Pimlico along Cold Spring Lane to pick up a daily ride to the plant. Older employees were busy with warplane drawings -- things like the B-16 and the PBM (patrol bomber Martin) plus something called the A-30. The A-30 was dubbed the 'flying guppie.' That's because it looked just like a pregnant guppie. The British used the plane in Africa. After Dec. 7, the Army came up along Eastern Avenue and dug gun emplacements and moved in sandbags. They set up machine guns at intersections." -- Mr. Spivey is a retired aeronautical program manager who lives in Timonium.

"The holiday weekend of celebrations (Navy beat Army 14-6 the previous Saturday in bright sunshine at Philadelphia) was over and I was studying. I was graduating midyear from the Naval Academy in the face of the war threat, and we were all taking final exams. The next weekend my parents came down for Sunday dinner. We parked inside the academy and then walked to a restaurant. When we came back, the main gate was closed and there was a definite state of turmoil. Still, Pearl Harbor took us all by surprise, midshipmen included." -- Mr. Karfgin, a retired Navy lieutenant commander, lives in Riderwood, Baltimore County.

"I remember the traditional Cotillon in the Lyric theater when I made my bow to society, along with 73 other young ladies in formals. I wore a white satin dress. . . . We were all dressed in white . . . and my dress had a tulle ruff at the neckline. Everybody wore white gloves, too. They weren't expensive then, but today they are." Her escorts, she adds, "were mostly cousins." An excitement was the presence of Dina Hutton (Merrill), the future movie star and daughter of America's wealthiest widow, Marjorie Merriwether Post. The next Sunday Mrs. Weisheit "was busy writing thank-you notes for flowers sent by friends. Somehow what I was doing then sounds so trivial today." -- Mrs. Weisheit, who was Jacqueline M. Wilson at the time of her debut, lives in Ruxton in Baltimore County.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.