Elbow injury may end Boyd's season at Towson Tigers' top scorer to undergo surgery

November 27, 1991|By Paul McMullen Don Markus of The Sun's sports staff also contributed to this article.

Devin Boyd, one of the most honored players in Towson State basketball history, might have to wait until 1993 to become the Tigers' all-time leading scorer.

A senior guard out of Walbrook High who was the East Coast Conference Player of the Year in 1990-91, Boyd suffered a fracture in his right elbow in the Tigers' season-opener at Colorado Monday. Dr. Ken Gertsen, the Towson State team physician, was to perform surgery on Boyd today at St. Joseph's Hospital, and he is expected to miss from six to eight weeks.

With a normal recovery and no conditioning, the earliest Boyd return would be a Jan. 8 game at George Mason. Boyd, who guided Towson State to two straight ECC titles and berths in the NCAA tournament, said he isn't sure if he'll return to play this season, or sit out the rest of the year, apply for a medical hardship and come back for the 1992-93 season.

"I really want to play this season," Boyd said last night. "It's fun playing with these guys, and I know we have a team that can do a lot. But I have to be realistic about my situation. If it takes a half season, or three-quarters, for me to get back in playing shape, then we've got to consider other options.

Another reason Boyd might decide to sit out this season is Towson State's conference situation. The ECC champion does not have an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament this year. And next season, Towson State hopes to be in another conference -- possibly the Northeast or Big South -- which has an automatic bid.

With Boyd sidelined, freshman Terrance Alexander took up the slack at Colorado. The area Player of the Year for Dunbar last season, Alexander scored 14 of his 15 points in the last 10 minutes, tying the game at 61 with 8:56 to play. Alexander's first collegiate start could come Saturday at North Carolina.

"I'm going to sit back and rest for a few days.Next week I'll sit downand talk to Coach (Terry) Truax, Coach (Jim) Meil and Coach (Mike )Hunt, and see what's best for my career.I'm not sure what I'm going to do." The injury occurred with 11 minutes, 41 seconds remaing in the second half of a 93-83 season -opening loss in Boulder.The Tigers were down by four pointswhen Boyd and Colorado's Billy Law were fighting for a loose ball. Another Buffalo player,Donny Boyce, came over to help out Law and fell on Boyd's elbow.

"I knew it was broken as soon as it happened,"Boyd said, I'm in a lot of pain. This is definitely not the way to start a season.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.